Everything you expect from a leading business accounting solution, plus the tools to manage cash flow, monitor profitability, analyze trends, track inventory, and make informed financial decisions based on real-time accounting data. Let us show you how DENALI Business+Accounting can serve your business.
Accounting software should do more than keep the books.
- Advanced, multi-tiered security system that allows system rights to be established for users by application and function, reduces opportunity for employee theft and errors
- Integrated modules so that posting in one automatically updates all; saves you time and decreases errors
- Drill down and quick lookups. Find customer information, including buying history, instantly, increasing customer satisfaction and saving time
- Set-up Wizard walks you through company set-up, asks all the right questions, explains the process and helps you complete steps in the right order; saving time and reducing errors
- Enhanced Chart of Accounts set-up allows users to choose from five company types and more than 60 different types of businesses. Save valuable set-up time, because module preferences, a chart of accounts and hundreds of codes are loaded automatically
- Process customer payments and make payments to vendors via electronic funds transfer. Reduces paperwork; speeds up your accounts payable and accounts receivable
- One step backup can be sent to hard drive, floppy discs or other removable media. Safeguards irreplaceable data
- Unlimited history storage. Saves customer history for the timeframes you establish
- Assign specific tasks to specific printers; and designate default printers within modules. You choose who (one or many) gets reports
- True networking capability with the option to run single or multiple-batch processing. Saves time, reduces errors, allows inter-departmental and company cooperation and efficiencies
- Universal Bridge imports transactions from external files into General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Inventory and other modules. You don’t have to enter data more than once; simplifies the move up from another accounting package
- System-wide notepads to enter special instructions, notes on customers, products and sales staff
- Customizable, user defined reports that you can print to file, dot-matrix, laser or your fax/modem software, even to email. Create your own or choose from a list of customizable reports, including statements, invoices and receipts.
DENALI’s Accounts Payable software is easy to use and provides everything you need to manage vendors and payments. Save time and minimize human error with our Accounts Payable module.
- Track due dates
- Generate payments
- Print checks (use Cougar Mountain Forms+Supplies for all your check printing needs)
- Allocate expenses
- Create, organize, and track vendors
- Enter and pay bills from vendors
- Set up recurring bills
- Search a vendor’s history by reference number, transaction date or due date.
- Set up default general ledger expense accounts for each vendor.
- Print a Vendor Master List for a complete detail of vendor accounts.
- Merge two vendors while maintaining their full histories.
- Easily renumber vendors while maintaining and transferring all history from previous records.
- Vendor search and sort can be performed by the vendor’stelephone number.
Generate Checks and Reports
- Use the drill-down feature to save time and paper when you print an Accounts Payable History Report, Payment to Invoice Report, or Invoice to Payment Report specified in the time period you wish to print.
- Print a Dated Invoice/Payment Report showing the amount of open items as of a specified date.
- Write checks at the same time bills are entered; enter bills, and then later select them for payment and write the check; or enter bills and record handwritten checks.
- Print Forms 1099 Misc. and 1099 Magnetic Media for contract labor.
- Prepare a check register of all payment transactions for quick payment auditing.
- Maintain month-end balances of total payments, credits, and debits.
DENALI’s Accounts Receivable software allows you to track your customer transactions over time and retain a history of customer charges, payments, notes, and more. You can set up credit limits and note if a customer should receive a special discount on certain products.
Because all DENALI modules are integrated, there’s no need to enter the same data twice. Click here to learn more about DENALI modules, packages, and add-ons.
Reporting & Statements
- Print any message upcoming sales, special greetings and promotions on statements.
- Create custom statement formats for preprinted forms or plain paper statements.
- Clear, easy-to-understand AR Customer Statement identifies the details of payments being applied to invoices, even those that have already been purged from the AR Statement.
- The Invoice to Payment and Payment to Invoice Reports compare various payments and invoices to aid customer service and troubleshooting efforts.
- Easily print out customer mailing labels.
- Define a special discount when receiving payments.
- Apply one payment to as many as 250 invoices.
- Use Hot Key lookups by customer name or number, or quickly view detailed customer file information, including credit limit, collection status, finance charges, YTD charges, and YTD payments.
- Enter a virtually unlimited number of customers and transactions.
- Track customers’ open credits.
- Place customers on hold for credit, and warnings will automatically appear in Order Entry.
- Assign credit limits to customers and warnings will automatically appear in Order Entry when limits are exceeded.
- Process finance charge calculations. Specific finance charges can be assigned to individual customers.
Monitor and Manage Bank Accounts DENALI’s Bank Reconciliation module matches your financial records with the bank’s list of transactions, and reconciles bank statements to actual checks and deposits.
Bank Reconciliation includes the ability to:
- Quickly process hundreds of transactions at a time
- Flag missing checks
- Manage multiple bank accounts
- Retrace questionable transactions
- Track expenses by department
- Setup recurring transactions
- General Ledger Reports
- Bank Reconciliation Reports
- Purchase Order Reports
- Accounts Payable Reports
- Accounts Receivable
- Inventory Reports
- Payroll Reports
- Sales Reports
Fixed Assets Depreciation Features
Calculates depreciation and amortization for an unlimited number of organizations.
Assets can be sorted by category, location, property code, date placed in service, user-defined fields, and any number of general ledger accounts.
Depreciation and amortization methods include straight line, various declining balance methods, sum-of-the-years, ACRS and MACRS. Override capabilities allow depreciation amounts to be manually added.
Edit checks on depreciation methods, effective dates, asset lives, luxury auto limitations, special expense (IRC 179) limitations, etc. all help you comply with federal tax laws.
Immediate tax law update notifications to help you stay compliant with federal tax laws.
Fixed Assets for all Products
Fixed asset management can be challenging and time-consuming. Cougar Mountain Software has partnered with Comprehensive Microsystems, Inc. to provide The System®, an intuitive fixed assets accounting solution that works with our Fixed Assets module. Accounting tasks that may have taken days in the past can now be completed in a fraction of the time.
Fixed Assets Reports
Manage your assets with help from a collection of pre-formatted reports that are compliant with accounting standards and IRS regulations.
Journal entries can be printed or exported to the General Ledger module.
DENALI’s General Ledger module is the core source of information regarding the financial health of your business. The General Ledger is where you create accounts, budgets, and make journal entries (DENALI will make entries automatically when you post transactions from other modules).
You can track the financial status of your business when you generate and view the available report types, such as the Financial Reports, Budget Review Reports, and Reference Reports. Because all DENALI modules are integrated, there’s no need to enter the same data twice.
General ledger reports include:
- Audit Trail Report: Provides a complete, detailed listing of the transactions that have taken place in each account for a specified time period.
- Trial Balance Report: Provides a quick check of the balances in each account and verifies that debits equal credits.
- Balance Sheet Report: Provides current data on the financial condition of the company.
- Accumulations to asset, liability, and equity accounts are included in this report.
- Income Statement Report: Shows the relationship between the revenue generated and the expenses paid for a specified range of periods.
- Revenue and Expense Report (FUND): Shows the relationship between the revenue generated and the expenses paid for a specified range of periods.
- Cash Flow Statement: Provides cash flow information for a specified range of periods, classified by cash flow report groups.
Budget Review Reports
- Budget Performance Report: Used to find out how your actual amounts are performing against your budgeted amounts.
- Budget Report: Display income and expense activity versus budgeted amounts for a specified period of time.
- Chart of Accounts Report: Consists of all the established and individual accounts, each of which can be thought of as a holding bin or accumulator of dollar values.
- Reprint Posting Report: Shows postings from any integrated module.
- Spreadsheet Export: Gives the ability to export Actual and Budget numbers for all accounts from the General Ledger, by account, period, and amount types.
- Statement of Activities: Displays the account activities (revenues and expenses) for a selected organization, classified by account restriction type.
- Statement of Financial Position: Provides current information on the financial condition (assets and liabilities) of a selected organization, classified by account restriction type.
- Statement of Cash Flows: Provides cash flow information for a selected organization, classified by report group.
DENALI’s Inventory module manages and tracks products and services and maintains detailed records of items you purchase and sell. With several tracking, pricing, and grouping options to meet the needs of your business, the Inventory module can help identify sales trends and inventory movement to prevent lost revenue. See our Multi-location Inventory add-on for inventory control in multiple locations.
Because all DENALI modules are integrated, there’s no need to enter the same data twice. Click here to learn more about DENALI modules, packages, and add-ons.
Stock Quantity Reports
- Quick Stock List - Shows a complete list of all stock items in Inventory.
- Stock Labels - Print stock labels directly on readily-available label stock for any or all inventory items.
- Master Stock Report - Shows all information from the Master table for the selected stock items.
- Physical Count Worksheet - Shows the quantity on hand for selected inventory so you can note any discrepancies between physical and DENALI counts.
- On Hand Report - Provides cost and quantity information about all inventory on hand.
- Understock Report - Shows the minimum acceptable levels of inventory and the required quantities needed to return inventory to the predetermined levels.
- Overstock Report - Shows maximum acceptable levels of inventory and the quantity by which an inventory item exceeds this level.
- On Order Report - Shows the last order date and quantity on order for all items.
- Back Order Report - Shows the quantities on order and back order for all items.
- Kit Reports - Indicates how many of each component is required to build a specified number of kits, how many kits can be assembled with the components on hand, and what each kit costs to assemble.
Stock Value Reports
- Price Book Report - Shows both the quantity on hand and the various pricing breaks for each inventory stock item.
- Stock Value Report - Reads the cost and quantity information for each stock item and shows a total dollar value of inventory for the current period.
- Control Report - Shows the total number of items on hand and the book value of each of those items for all Inventory Codes.
- History Report - Shows a brief history of each stock item you carry.
- Movement Report - Provides an indication of how fast inventory items are selling.
- Monthly Movement Report - Allows you to monitor your inventory movement on a monthly basis to gain insight into what is selling.
- Promotional Sales Report- Allows you to evaluate your special sales promotions.
Multi-location Inventory - Track inventory in your back room, mobile units, across the street, or across the country with Multi-Location Inventory. Use this enhancement to establish locations for your stock items and print reports to track your items and sales by location.
BarTender Label Generator - Cougar Mountain has partnered with Seagull Scientific, Inc. to bring you BarTender® Label Software, an integrated bar code customization tool that gives you total control over the layout, design, and appearance of your stock item bar codes.
With Denali Order Entry you can easily enter information on sales, inventory items, customers, or receivables from one screen. It allows your clerks to look up prices, item descriptions and customer records - reducing error and improving customer satisfaction. Customer information and inventory items can be added or edited from the sales-entry screen to keep records accurate. Or, use the security options and restrict access to specific employees or personnel.
- Customizes invoices, quotes, and work orders
- Provides a sales history for every customer
- Fully integrates with inventory, accounts receivable, and accounts payable
- Processes sales
- Provides customer-specific pricing and price levels
- Allows multiple ship-to addresses
- Adjusts sales tax based on destination
Whether you have one employee or 1000, CMS Professional’s Payroll module provides everything your company needs to pay employees, manage taxes, and support any number of standard or unique deductions.
- Any compensation types (i.e., hourly, salary, hourly/salary, per-diem, multi-state, contract or piece work)
- Automatic direct deposit (from company account to employee)
- Paychecks (use Cougar Mountain Forms+Supplies for official checks)
- W-2s, with option for electronic W-2 submissions using Aatrix
- Any standard and user-defined deductions and garnishments
- Built-in and user-defined security for controlled access to payroll and employee records
- Several Payroll reports (see screenshots below)
- Because all modules are integrated, there’s no need to enter the same data twice.
- Quick Employee List Report: Prints a list of active and/or non-active or both employees.
- W-2 Report : The report is pre-formatted to print out on pre-printed W-2 forms.
- Master Employee Report: Prints information stored in the employee’s master record.
- Employee Earnings Report: Provides a breakdown of all earnings for each employee.
- Account Impact Summary Report: Provides real-time information to see what your balances will be once you post.
- Employee Benefit / Deduction Report: Shows the benefits, deductions, additions, tips, and EIC codes for selected employees.
- Employee Project Report: Shows project hours and cost in respect to employee time and wages.
- Employee History Report: Shows the number of units and dollar amount for each pay type for each employee.
- Employee Leave Report: Reflects the balance of earned leave.
- EFTPS History Report: Provides the payroll tax amounts necessary for preparing EFTPS coupons. Pre-posting EFTPS Report: Lists all FICA and FUTA taxes for the current payroll period.
- Employer’s Quarterly Report : Prints your quarterly 941 report information on a pre-printed government form or on plain paper.
- 941A Report: Provides year-to-date tax history by quarter for selected employees.
- Electronic Media W-2 Report: Allows you to electronically report the quarterly tax information submitted on Form 941.
- Employee Department Report: Provides a breakdown of units and wages earned by each employee, or the total units and wages charged against each department project.
- Taxable Wage Report: Shows the amount of taxable wages for each employee.
At-a-Glance Dashboards - One of the most popular features of our DENALI Accounting Software is the sales and financial dashboards, which bring you real-time, graphical reports about the trends, financial health, and sales of your organization. Management will be thrilled to have instant access to key financial information.
Tax Updates - Tax Updates provide you with the latest changes and updates based on current tax requirements. The PR Tax Update Utility contains the latest federal, state, and local withholding codes to keep your Cougar Mountain Payroll tax tables current. The Utility also has Payroll and Accounts Payable tax reporting forms for the current tax year.
Tax Forms - Cougar Mountain has partnered with Aatrix to offer a solution that allows you to integrate with our Payroll application to prepare, print, and eFile payroll forms in all 50 states.
Forms and Supplies - Forms and other print supplies for your Cougar Mountain Software. Blank documents from Cougar Mountain Forms+Supplies are IRS compatible and guaranteed to work with our accounting software. Most forms also work with other accounting software systems.
ACH Direct Deposit - Great add-on for Payroll users. Save money every payday and streamline your payment processes with NatPay’s ACH Direct Deposit Distribution services.
- NACHA estimates that employers spend approximately $1.90 per employee in payroll distribution – checks and/or pay stubs
- Companies who do not offer Direct Deposit usually incur additional expenses averaged at $1.20 per employee paycheck, per pay period
- Increase productivity by eliminating the need for employees to leave work to deposit checks
- Eliminate the cost of reissuing lost or stolen checks, and associated stop payment fees
- Reduce HR headaches with a streamlined payroll process that is completely paperless
Point of Sale
DENALI’s Point of Sale (POS) solution is configurable for just about any size business or organization, from a small gift shop to a large, multi-location setup. A few of the many POS features include:
- Single screen transactions (from start to finish) for quick and error-free sales
- Easy and secure electronic transactions of credit/debit cards, gift cards, checks, and EBTs
- Integrated inventory management with our Inventory module
- Customizable sales entry screens, sales receipts, and invoices
- Perform refunds, special orders, voids, register changes, and authorized override transactions
- Enter account numbers up to 45 digits and 6 segments for nonprofits
- Post multiple registers at once
- Restrict employees to only authorized information
- Control cash and balance books daily
- Retrieve real-time reports on sales by item, salesperson, register, and store
DENALI’s Purchase Order module provides several features to easily manage purchase orders, invoicing, and view vendor history.
- Manage orders from initial ordering through receiving and invoicing
- View vendor history, previous item costs, and order/receive dates for all orders
- Automatically generate purchase orders based on demand, quantity on hand, minimum quantity and order quantity
- Control buyer access to saved purchase orders, vendors, and stock item information
- Permit buyers to edit, view or generate orders or other buyer’s orders
Purchase Order Reports
There are a variety of reports available that provide information about items you ordered, when they are expected, and the vendors from which you ordered them.
- Open Purchase Order Report: Shows all orders not marked complete or purged from the system.
- Expected/Late Items Report: Displays items expected to arrive by a certain date or are past due.
- Vendor Performance Report: Shows the variance between the values entered on the purchase order and the actual values after the order arrives.
- History Report: Displays all posted purchase orders or the history of items ordered.
- Recurring Purchase Order Report: Shows recurring orders set up in the software.
- Code Reports: Prints a list of all codes for a specific Code type.
- Pre-Issue Purchase Order Report: Displays a list of pre-issued purchase order numbers.
Reviews of Denali Business+Accounting Write a Review
It really wasn’t for our type of need. But once we got in there and worked with it, we were able to make it work for us and it works fine now.
The good: It does more than we need, which means it should be good for us to use for years to come.
The bad: We are a warehouse that brings products in and stores them (they are not our products). Denali is more for retail. There is a lot more capabilities/features/code than we really need. For our application, we had to get some crystal reports built which cost us extra, but we were able to do it and it works fine and fair. If we did it again, we’d get something a bit more simplistic that is designed for our type of a warehouse (as we don’t track the cost of the products in our inventory since we don’t own them) and that’s a big portion of the software we do not use.
An anonymous Denali Business+Accounting user says...
Worst software they ever made. Spent $20K and threw it in the trash. No technical support and what was available was on their terms only. It was not as user-friendly as they said it would be. I can’t say enough bad things about it. It was a purchase instead of a lease so we just wrote it off. I would never ever recommend.
The good: Cash register portion of it was the only redeeming quality (where you scan the credit cards).
An anonymous Denali Business+Accounting user says...
It sucks. I spent $3,500 and 3 months trying to get the stuff on my system and scrapped it. I went back to my old program.
Victoria from Navajo Tribe - Cameron Chapter says...
Having a problem trying to go to the training… only downfall we have. Our director is still on the fence about finishing the implementation.
The good: I’m sure it will work in the long-run but it has been years since we decided on the software but still do not have it up and running.
The bad: Cougar has done everything they can do but we need authorized travel to get off reservation. As a reservation government, we need permission to go off site for any training that our employees need for the software. We wish the training could be a bit more mobile or we could figure out a better way to handle this.
Cathy from WDC of Seattle-King County says...
Works great. We did have one glitch that was operator error, and they helped me figure it out immediately.
The good: Anytime we need training or any updates they send our way, they are on it. I have to give them kudos.
The bad: We have no complaints.
Karen from Suwannee Supply says...
we have been using CMS Accounting since DOS 25+ years. Normally upgrades is a smooth transaction and have always loved the product. Then came Denali. It was never ready to be released. My IT person had a heck of a time with quirks within the system but finally got it set up. There are too many quirks to write here. I have all these AR accounts that I can not delete because they are inbedded deep into the software. It has all been purged and no luck. Cougar says the only way to get them out is for them to spend 2 hours cleaning it up. However this will be until the end of eternity unless they are a new account within the new system. Seems we would have been advised to just add the info into the new system. It was a disaster and the money spent for my IT guy that has been working with CMS for as long as have had it? How about not being able to change an employee to married in the middle of the year? No it’s not a button to be checked. If you print your AR screen, no address appears so you have to write it in. Really? The issues are endless and the glitches…OMG. Maybe just coming clean to the software would be OK but if you are on Pro DO NOT DO IT!!! I once would have given them a 5 star but now anymore.
The good: Very easy to motivate and learn.
The bad: Dont’ get me started!
Denali can be tailored to meet your needs. Whether you stand a lone payroll or fully integrated Accounting, Sales and inventory you can pick and choose what suits you.
The good: Easy to use, once the software is setup the interface is easy even for the beginner
The bad: Setup time is a bit longer because of the flexibility
I have used the payroll portion of the software and it is amazing. The system will create a journal entry for the pay period according to your accounting software if using another system. Even if using the entire accounting software, this system works efficiently.
Supposedly a fully integrated accounting solution. An amateurish copy of the much more complete Cougar Mountain Accounting Pro Software. Denali is not ready for roll out and a much inferior product to CMS ACT PRO. When I discovered that their Payroll module couldn’t even provide accurate gross pay reports (let alone taxable wage, etc), the technical support department insisted the reports #’s were correct (they weren’t) and then told me I would have to go through the quarter’s payroll and manually add up (yep - by hand) all the paychecks by employee to get the information I need, such as gross pay - to include that pesky sick and vacation time — OTL pay, correct tax amounts, net etc. This is the most disappointing offering from Cougar Mountain in decades.
The good: I’ve used Cougar for 24 years. The only thing positive about Denali is it “looks” similar to CMS ACT PRO. That’s where the positive ends, because it doesn’t work as well as CMS PRO and in fact, fails to provide some pretty basic information. Who sorts by name using a first name?? Who calculates taxes only on REG+OT pay, but excludes S/V/PTO and additions to gross? I mean… was there an accountant or bookkeeper even involved in the process of EXTRACTING the information from the software once it was put into it? Huge FAIL Cougar.
The bad: It doesn’t provide adequate reporting, the PR entry is amateurish and inefficient… and they can’t seem to figure out how to get the information OUT that is put IN.
Steven from Pee Wee Bees says...
Denali is a sophisticated accounting package for small businesses that recognize that accounting is important and that accounting software should grow with the business it serves.
The good: Denali can handle all the complexity that sales and supply chain can have, but it doesn’t force us to use features we don’t need yet. It also lets dive down to the foundation (debits and credits, individual transactions, etc.) in an industry-standard database.
The bad: Denali isn’t famous, so there isn’t a selection of books or third-party accessories to support it.