Blue Ridge Construction Software has been serving the needs of the heavy construction industry since 1983. Our BRICS Software package is full featured, windows based Accounting Software for contractors specializing in excavation, utilities, materials management (asphalt, concrete, stone), bridge building and all other aspects of heavy construction.
Blue Ridge Software is large enough to meet your needs but small enough to provide personalized service and a customized system.
Read what our clients have to say about BRICS:
“For over 10 years, BRICS has been an integral part of our bridge and heavy highway construction business. They have adopted every major technological improvement along the way and have helped us grow. BRICS understands our industry and they have developed a product which delivers what we want most – reliability, accuracy, and customer service.”
—Allan Smith, Controller, Bryant Contracting, Inc.
“As a customer since 1990 we have been pleased with the BRICS software program and it’s ability to meet our needs. The other software systems we reviewed for consideration did not meet our needs for unit costing by phases of a job. The system allows us to combine the costs for labor, materials, subcontractors and other A/O items and then analyze its unit cost for that phase. We can get reports looking at costs by the phase, by the cost code and by the cost type. We have easy access to the detail behind any one of these costs if we have questions regarding the numbers, not just for job costs, but for each piece of equipment that we track, as soon as the payroll and the accounts payable information is posted. We are also able to track our phases against the state’s estimates using a phase number which we can then compare with the bid tabs for the states in which we work. Blue Ridge Software strives to meet the needs of road and bridge contractors in a way that no other software system that we know of does. Their quick response and one-on-one service would not be available from any other software company” .
—Stan Lanford, President, Lanford Brothers Company, Inc.
“In addition to the attractive job costing features of BRICS 2000, an interface feature allows us to download our job cost budget from our estimating software package (HCSS) to the accounting system. The system allows us to track actual job productivity with budgeted productivity within each job analysis. BRICS 2000 provides a comprehensive and flexible framework for tracking all expenses and quantities.”
—Fred Stump, Controller, Faulconer Construction Company, Inc.
“For 51 years we kept production tonnage by hand, indexing the tonnage by job, plant and type of mix. Last year we approached Blue Ridge Software about using the BRICS 2000 accounting software to electronically import the production information and post it to the proper accounts, and to print out the written reports we required. After a few meetings to discuss the information available from our plant computers and our home office needs, Blue Ridge configured our system and we were ready to try an initial run. The program has worked flawlessly from the start. We now download the ticket data from our three plant computers to the office each week. We make corrections on the screen to tickets that were coded to the wrong job or were diverted in route, and then we post them to the accounting system, updating both job cost and Accounts Receivable. We get the information we need, print out our internal reports and bill our FOB customers in a fraction of the time it used to take. The Plant module offered by Blue Ridge Construction Software has been a real boon to our office productivity.”
—Charlie Hurt, Contract Administrator, S.L. Williamson Company.
BRICS Accounts Payable
The Accounts Payable (AP) package includes the following capabilities:
- Displays function key options on the screen and allows their use to simplify processing.
- Comes with a complete Users Manual for operators to use
- Allows pop up search windows of vendors
- Allows pop up search windows for all accounts, job numbers, equipment id’s.
- Access to vendor records by numeric or alphabetic search
- Allows maintenance of the vendor file, and prints an alphabetical vendor list and Vendor mailing labels.
- Allows one time payment or miscellaneous vendors.
- Displays open invoices for vendors or complete vendor history of invoices and payments
- Allows flexible payment selection, including partial payments, and prints the PRE-CHECK WRITING REPORT to aid in payment planning.
- Allows the printing of payable checks in batches or “quick” checks for on demand checks. - Allows handwritten checks to be posted
- Allows both handwritten and computer generated checks to be voided.
- Tracks outstanding AP checks through Check Reconciliation, allowing input of canceled checks by individual check, check range or by a bank supplied diskette.
- Retains complete history of all checks and prints the Check History Report.
- Allows entry and distribution of all payables to jobs, job phases and cost types with automatic distribution to the general ledger. Transaction detail for job cost includes invoice number, invoice date, amount of invoice, vendor name, and description of purchase.
- Allows for the paying of subcontractors with the automatic calculation and tracking of retainage. Complete Subcontractor control available when the job cost module is installed.
- Allows automatic generation of an entry to the AR open item file if an AP invoice is charged to accounts receivable.
- Cash Requirements Reporting with multiple aging periods - List open payables by job.
- Report available to reconcile A/P invoices with G/L accounts payable account balance to any previous period or year.
- Federal Non-Employee Compensation (1099) forms can be printed to selected vendors.
BRICS Accounts Receivable
The Accounts Receivable (AR) package includes the following capabilities:
- Handles both balance forward or open item customers.
- Allows inquiry into customer accounts.
- Allows window generic search of customers by name or number.
- Allows maintenance of the customer file and printing of the customer master list.
- Allows the entry and editing of cash receipts transactions and prints the CASH RECEIPTS JOURNAL.
- Calculates finance charges for selected customers and allows for editing of finance charges prior to posting and running statements.
- Prints Accounts Receivable Statements on all customers who are coded to receive statements.
- Prints statements for individual customers on demand.
- Aging report shows totals for invoices by customer by job.
- Terms codes are maintained through AR control file maintenance AR-GL Reconciliation report insures the open invoice file total equals the GL account balance for accounts receivable.
- Complete AR transaction history available showing invoices, payments, adjustments, retainage.
- Handles and reports retainage (both billed and unbilled).
- Screen available to apply credits to invoices Distributes billing to job numbers if desired.
- Invoices are kept in job sequence which allows for separate totals and reporting for those customers who have more than one job ongoing.
- Prepares and prints invoices in several formats including AIA.
- Allows for the maintenance of state and local sales tax files
BRICS Document Management
BRICS Document Management
The BRICS Document Management software allows the user to browse and locate previously scanned documents and organize those documents in a series of system defined cabinets, drawers and folders. When the documents are saved they are “attached” to master file records making them available for easy retrieval.
In addition to scanned documents the software can be used to browse your system’s data folders and select any type of file to be attached to master file records in the same way. A single master record could have attached photos, scanned reports, spreadsheets, word processing documents, autocad files, pdf files and virtually any other file that can be accessed using a scanner or selected using the Windows browse button.
Documents relating to a job, employee, customer, vendor or piece of equipment become a permanent part of your accounting software data base. All documents are stored in a folder hierarchy by job number, employee id, vendor number, customer number or equipment id number for instant retrieval. The maintenance screens in each functional area allow for adding and viewing documents. All documents for a given master record can be viewed as thumbnails or a specific document can be selected individually. All documents are cataloged by functional area and master record. In addition you can sort documents by key words to easily search through all the documents associated with a master record.
After retrieving a stored document and viewing it on the screen the operator will have the ability to print, fax or e-mail directly from BRICS. BRICS takes advantage of built-in Windows XP file viewers to deliver screens with which most Windows users are familiar. You will not have to learn to operate a new or non-standard file viewer. In addition you can easily transfer all documents for a given job, employee, etc to a CD for distribution or offline storage.
The system is easy to use. The path where your scanner has been programmed to send documents can be entered into the BRICS parameters. After scanning single or multiple documents you select the BRICS functional area and master record that you wish to associate with the scanned document. When you click the BROWSE button you will be taken directly to the folder containing your scanned documents. You then enter a description of the document and optional key words that can be used later in searching for documents. After clicking on the SAVE button this document will be moved to the appropriate folder and BRICS will catalog all information for later retrieval.
Document Management is integrated with Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Equipment, Job Cost and Human Resources.
BRICS Equipment Management
The Equipment Management (EM) package includes the following capabilities:
- Each piece of equipment is a separate cost center for individual tracking.
- Maintenance costs, revenues, profitability, location and internal rental rates are available for each piece of equipment.
- Equipment profitability can be compared with prior year Equipment costs by job are maintained in summary and detail.
- Equipment by Job report shows for each job what equipment was used and when Equipment Analysis report helps to identify when equipment or vehicles become too expensive to maintain.
- Organizes equipment by categories and sub-categories Each piece of equipment can have recorded serial number, tag number, expiration dates for tags and inspection stickers, etc.
- Includes equipment location feature to keep track of where equipment is being used, by job.
- Update mechanic’s labor expense from Payroll automatically Update hours of use from equipment input by job and transfers directly to the preventive maintenance procedures.
- Preventive maintenance module tracks hours/miles of use and reports when equipment should be serviced according to user defined service intervals for each piece of equipment.
- Preventive maintenance has “notebook“ feature where comments can be entered and maintained for reference for each piece of equipment.
- Cost information from payables and payroll also automatically update the ”notebook“.
- Depreciation Module (for both book and tax) is available through the equipment module. All depreciation methods and tables are included. Depreciation is available for all fixed assets as well as equipment.
- Maintenance function allows for adding, deleting or changing equipment master file information on a single screen.
- Automatic interface to A/R billing module allowing update of equipment cost and hours of use to the equipment module.
BRICS General Ledger
The General Ledger (GL) package includes the following capabilities:
- Accesses all features through convenient menus Displays function key operations on the screen and allows their use to simplify processing.
- Allows for multiple companies with or without consolidated statements. It is not necessary, however, to enter the company number on each menu selection if you’re in a single company environment.
- Allows departmental postings Allows entry of general and recurring journal entries Allows accrual entries which are automatically reversed in the next period. Provides G/L account inquiry (including transaction detail) on the screen. Pop Up Windows allow generic search of accounts.
- Allows maintenance of the financial statement designs with multiple designs possible.
- Prints comparative and/or consolidated financial statements Each line on the income statement can be reflected as a percentage of budget or percentage of revenue.
- Provides complete transaction detail for up to three years of data.
- Allows an initial and final year end closing procedure.
- Allows posting of transactions to new year without first closing old year.
BRICS Human Resource Module
The BRICS Human resource module is a computer based filing system designed to help you manage employee information. It will also maintain records on all past employees and optionally future employees through the applicant master file. When integrated with the BRICS Document Imaging module you can also store photos, written applications, copies of drug tests, driver’s licenses, training certificates, etc. Any or all documents can be retrieved instantly for review, emails, faxing or creation of a CD.
Many construction companies track HR data using a patchwork of disconnected systems. Documentation is often duplicated in file folders, spreadsheets and Access data bases. This often leads to duplication of data, wasted clerical effort, errors and oversight. Our goal is to offer you a single location where most, if not all, of this data can reside for easy storage and retrieval.
The Human Resource module allows for the extension of data already collected in the Payroll module. The two modules are tightly integrated so information such as name, address, phone numbers, etc., are maintained in a single location. If a phone number is changed in the HR module it is also changed instantly in the payroll module.
Conversion to the HR module is easy since the basic data is already present in your employee master and employee history files. If you have additional data in other systems or spreadsheets we offer conversion programs to help bring that data into the HR data base.
Functional Areas of the Human Resource Software:
General Data: This consists of the demographic data already present in the employee or employee history data tables managed by the BRICS Payroll System. In addition you will be able to see a history of all comings and goings of employees with rehire and termination dates for all occurrences.
Emergency Information: This tab will provide storage for an emergency contact and physician information.
Dependents: This tab will provide storage for all employee dependents. This can be used for benefit reporting, etc.
Previous employment: This tab provides storage for previous employment dates and employer names prior to the employee working for your company.
DOT: This tab provides all data required to meet the reporting requirements of your Dept of Transportation. This is critical for construction companies who need to maintain records for all drivers, CDL certifications, licenses, license expiration dates, etc.
Events: This provides for the collection of all data related to any employee related event. Events can be specified by the user of the system but the following are critical to the operation of the construction company and are pre-installed in the system:
**Accidents- Probably the most critical type of event to track. Better management of accidents start with the collection of information and the meticulous documentation of the event. The event module coupled with the document imaging module should help in this area.
Examples of other events which should be tracked include Drug Tests, Training Certifications, and Warnings, Safety violations, Issue/returns of company equipment, pay reviews, and salary increases. Each event has a code and you can set up an unlimited number of event codes in addition to those listed. All data fields may not be needed for all event types but it provides a general framework to collect data on any event relating to your employee. An area for notes is also available to record data not collected in any of the data fields.
Benefits: This will provide storage of data and calculation of benefit information which may or may not result in an employee payroll deduction. Each user can set up their own table of benefits with eligibility rules.
Attendance: This will provide a grid representing the year requested showing all absences. In the future you will be able to enter absence data here as well.
Employee Evaluation: This will allow the entering of performance review data, viewing of previous performance reviews and also allow for the viewing of pay rate history for the employee.
The Inventory (IN) package includes the following capabilities:
- Multiple warehouse locations.
- Ability to withdraw and charge inventory to jobs, equipment or to G & A accounts.
- Ability to receive inventory separate from the AP process.
- Reports available include inactive item report, inventory valuation, master list and stock status report.
- Ability to inquire by equipment id and get all stocked repair parts for that piece of equipment.
- Audit log of all inventory withdrawals.
- LIFO, FIFO or AVERAGE COST method of inventory cost calculation
BRICS Job Cost
The Job Cost (JC) package includes the following capabilities:
- Uses the percentage-of-completion accounting method. Completed cost available as an option.
- Flexible cost structure: Job Number (4 characters alphanumeric) Activity/Phase/Pay Item (6 characters alphanumeric) Cost Type (98 available per job; labor, material, etc.
- Job phases can be set up using a “standard phase library”. A complete computer file of VDOT pay items are included with the software to be optionally used as the phase library.
- Automatically generates and prorates burden costs Ability to update in multiple months and two different accounting years at the same time Job Cost is updated by all applicable information systems: Accounts Payable, Inventory, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, Equipment, etc. A single transaction flows to all systems.
- Monitors past and current job costs and acts as a forecasting tool for expected job costs.
- Heavy emphasis on UNIT COST analysis: Estimated, current month, year-to-date, job-to-date budget-to-date and variance are all reported both on screen and in reports on both a total cost and unit cost basis. Handles original and revised budgeted quantities Ability to input quantities completed using either to-date or current period quantities.
- Revenue is recognized automatically by entering quantities completed.
- Subcontractor Control module available as part of job cost when integrated with the AP module.
- DRILL DOWN approach to reviewing JOB COST data
BRICS Mobile Field Reporting
BRICS MOBILE is a field reporting system which allows job data to be entered via an electronic time card and transmitted to the home office. Labor time, equipment usage, daily production, meter readings and per diem payments can be entered via an easy to use interface residing on a remote entry device.
The system has three components:
BRICS Field Remote
The Remote software is loaded on a notebook or I-book computer and is used by the foreman in the field to enter data. Data from the home office is transferred to and from the notebook when an internet connection is available. This allows for instant verification for all data entered by the job foreman, reducing the chance of errors that occur with paper timecards. The foreman sees only the employees and equipment assigned to his crew.
BRICS Field Manager
The BRICS Field Manager resides on the home office server. The number of copies of the Manager is limited only by the number of BRICS workstations. It can be accessed from the BRICS Accounting Menu or the BRICS Project Manager menu.
It serves as the collection point for data imported from the BRICS field remote systems. Once the data has been imported the project manager can sort and view the data multiple ways. Additions and corrections can be made prior to exporting to the payroll, equipment and production modules of the Accounting System.
BRICS Sync is the file synchronization module of BRICS Mobile. This program runs as a service and “watches” the local out folder on the field computer. When files are uploaded by Field Remote BRICS Sync detects the presence of the files and automatically sends them to the host computer. Once they arrive on the host computer Field Manager can import them for review, editing, approving and export to the accounting system. Sync also detects new data base tables from on the server and transfers them back to the field computer so Field Remote always has up to date files for data verification.
The Payroll (PR) package includes the following capabilities:
- Accesses all features through convenient menus, and uses function key options and arrow keys to simplify processing.
- Handles hourly and salary employees.
- Allows unlimited number of distributions for any employee.
- Allows window generic search of employees by social security number or by name.
- Allows window generic search for distribution account numbers Calculates all city, state, and federal payroll taxes using tax tables that can be updated on the screen. Allows the entry of manually-written checks and adjustments.
- Allows optional payroll bank check reconciliation Payroll time can be distributed to jobs, job phases or equipment id’s.
- Prints quarterly reports. Prints Federal W2 forms and allows for the creation of Magnetic Media reporting of W2 forms if required.
- Calculates and reports Workers Compensation by labor classifications or job activities.
- Prints Employee Transaction History for Prior 52 weeks for Workers Compensation Claims as required by insurance carriers.
- Prints VDOT Forms C57, C-64, - EEO Reports.
- Prints VDOT Form C28 - Basic Hourly Rates Paid by Contractor Prints Certified Payroll Reports and VDOT JOB ROSTERS Library of Standard Job Classifications and Descriptions for Highway Construction in Virginia are included.
- Prints Employer’s Report of New Hires has required by the Virginia Child Support Department.
- Allows for the setup of job minimum pay wage scales.
- Missing time report available to make sure all non terminated employees have had time entered.
- Weekly Labor Production Reports showing labor costs per hour or per unit of work complete for jobs. Complete job employee history report showing all employees who worked on a job, their labor classification and their contribution to the job burden. Automatically calculates payroll burden using a percentage or actual calculation (company paid fica, FUTA, SUTA and Workers Compensation) or a combination of both. Allows for special tax considerations of pre-tax deductions such as 401k or Cafeteria Plan Health Insurance.
- Allows for special reporting of ESOP or Employee Pension Plans
- Employee Absence System Automatic calculation of child support and garnishment deductions Payroll Direct Deposit by NACHA standards
- Union reporting if required, supporting multiple unions, union payroll deductions, fringe benefits
Reviews of Blue Ridge Construction Software Write a Review
No reviews have been submitted. Do you use Blue Ridge Construction Software? Write a review, and help other organizations like yours make smarter, more informed software selection decisions!