SEMS® is an integrated suite of enterprise-wide software solutions tools developed exclusively for suppliers and processors of steel and other metal products. It addresses the unique requirements of the metals industry, which are not easily adaptable by generic Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) packages.
SEMS® features simple three-tiered internet architecture, based on the industry standard, Oracle 10g application / database server infrastructure. The system can run on any hardware and operating system platform that is supported by Oracle 10g, including MS Windows, Linux, Solaris, and UNIX. We usually recommend an efficient and lower cost Linux system. THE STEELMAN SEMS® system is designed for the STEEL/METALS processing industry. STEELMAN software is a leading vendor of STEEL/METALS MES/ERP Solutions in the market today!
Client services are provided via forms developed with Oracle Internet Developer Suite, and are delivered to client workstations via the Oracle 10g/ Application Server. Oracle 10g/AS offers a highly scalable, three-tiered architecture, and supports today’s leading Internet, security and networking technologies. Any workstation capable of running a Java enabled web browser can be utilized with zero software installed on the workstation for a lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
Your company requires a secure environment with minimal network overhead. The SEMS® solution provides a secure and simplistic environment without the need for complex security add-ons and additional software layers.
Your Company needs one tool that can satisfy the following requirements:
- Offer 24x7 availability of its management infrastructure
- Scale to global deployments
- SEMS® handles Mexico (NAFTA) and specific requirements by the Mexican government on inventory mgt, etc.
- Multi-Language, Multi-Currency, Multi-Company/Division/Dept set up options
- Multi-Financials Accounting Package interfaces to handle the right financial package for your needs: i.e. SAGE, ORACLE, SAP, etc. –since they are good at Financials and NON-METALS functionality, we provide the details to them in Metals Mgt and Order/Purchasing/Inventory/Processing Mgt
- EDI communications To and From CUSTOMERS/VENDORS, MILLS all three in one Business Partner Mgt and CRM like mgt plus other data integration functions capable such as Oracle Mainframe and other system middleware –FUSIONWARE interfaces to other software/systems, XML data transfers, Level One/Two MES Industrial Automation PLC data links and transfers to automate data collection and gathering and other real time management needs from the Plant/Factory/Production Floor –These are optional and require Discovery in order to quote/implement the correct software MES layer products with Steelman SEMS® ERP software.
- Provide simplified management out-of-the-box
- Offer comprehensive applications and systems monitoring
- Allow for customized reporting
- Help manage target configurations
- Easily extend to satisfy unique business needs
- Optional 24/7 access to world-wide business markets for increased REVENUE potential and reduced COSTS of vendor-supply chain management through the use of E-Business Portals and development of an E-Commerce strategy
Business Intelligence is a powerful yet easy to use decision support and analysis tool that empowers you to make critical business decisions by placing information at your fingertips. Many standardized queries are provided with SEMS®; however, your own office staff can easily modify, enhance, and even add to the standard set using a simple to use interface that does not require an understanding of database languages. Results can be e-mailed, faxed, or saved in a variety of formats and scheduled to be delivered at the right time, to the right people, with the right information to make informed and better decisions that meet all corporate objectives and goals. Reports and BI and Data Warehousing data marts/cubes are usually custom designed and integrated.
- Use Oracle’s Discover reporting engine to create on the fly custom views of reports and its data or, use, canned reports are in the menu system for every area of the system and business and can customized with logos, etc.
- Oracle OLAP-Data Mart, Data Warehousing tools to create detailed multi-dimensional analytical reports for sales reporting by product, customer, region, date, + more.
Business Partner Management
The Business Partners application includes the functions that are required to create and maintain information regarding entities with which the company does business. A business partner may be classified as a customer and/or a vendor. Support for multiple ship-to locations and national accounts are provided. CRM functions are built within this section.
- One central management system to control a partner that also may be a Customer, Vendor and even a Mill.
- Customer Profiles, classes, CRM, Credit Management/review system, Customer Parts Mgt, Pricing, Multi-Ship-To addresses, plus capturing of metal specific data like properties, tests required, EDI to and from docs, surcharges, mills preferred, cross-referencing part numbers-customer part #s, billing, accounting detail codes.
- Credit management linked into Sales thru to Shipping for checks against limits, links to accounting system data
- Vendor Profiles, Performance Mgt including confirmations, On-Time Deliveries mgt, Reject Analysis, Score Card, Vendor Parts order mgt, Mill lead times and Rates management.
The Claims Management application provides the functions that are required for creating and processing YOUR COMPANY and/or Supplier claims. It also includes the functions required for creating and maintaining credit and debit memos. Digital photos can be attached to a claim for reference. The claims systems includes both a customer claims reporting system that can be processed and flowed into our VENDOR Claims system to include all reason codes and also integrated into the CAR system (Corrective Actions Reporting system in the Quality reporting module).
- These modules are extremely powerful reporting tool for collecting all defects, test data, and applying them to all concerned parties. (Vendor, Customer, Company)
- Debit and Credit Memos are created in this module
Cost Management tracks the actual cost of production to help understand the real costs of products and services. Accurate sales order costing ensures that appropriate pricing applied that covers any hidden costs. Analyzing the variances between predicted and actual cost will identify problem areas where corrective actions can be taken using ACTUAL Costs against a standard cost system, plus have a cost building series of tables to generate simple to complex costing mechanisms and can be applied to COST PLUS pricing, plus calculate work center process costs and properly cost WIP inventory in the Production recording system to apply to customer, inventory, or scrap the appropriate drop costs during processing and accurately reflect inventory values.
- Last Cost- Replacement costs
- Standard Costs with variance analysis
- Average cost reporting
- Work center cost definitions and also tables that can create simple to complex matrix driven charts to define any formula for costs of materials, processes, fabrication, add-ons, and can be used in a Formula-based Price Table or COST Plus price table that uses historical data to determined a markup price by a margin percentage.
A variety of Integrated Alerts can be sent within SEMS® to notify users that a pre-defined action or event has taken place. For example, when entering a sales order, the sales representative could trigger an alert to the credit manager to approve the credit. This simple tool provides a powerful means to control the workflow between departments and users.
Metal Processing Management
Optional Production advanced scheduling system integrated interface with special metals scheduling interface. We have optional advanced planning modules that can be integrated for more advanced planning and scheduling functions. SEMS® has a basic production scheduler by work center that the Production Planner can manually adjust daily, the production orders, to meet their needs/demands of orders at each work center.
- Macro Planner – Long term planning years and months
- Company Planner – Shorter term planning weeks and days and shifts – materials reservations, netting, replenishment and analysis
- Scheduler for production work center sequencing, loading schedules, set up, provisioning-processing at each work center reviewing thru-put capacities, purchasing-sales order, quote demands against a promise date for processing/delivery, CTP/ATP, Capability and Availability To Promise shipments on a specific date.
- Graphical and chart design integrated into SEMS® for quote, sales orders, work center functions and purchasing demands
Portals are a custom built, configured system, that is a unique feature of SEMS®, which are a Web-based technology used to deliver user-customizable information to end-users via the Internet, or your corporate Intranet. Portals are used to improve the accessing, processing and sharing of structured and unstructured information and business intelligence across the enterprise. This can be configured as a customized web site portal and is estimated only and will be firmed up at Discovery and Gap Analysis phase as a part of our standard implementation. Customer and Vendor portals can be designed and deployed or access rights granted to either with only rights to see their transactions, products, sales.
The Product Catalog module provides the functions that are required to define the products that your business supports. Product information that is entered at the time of order entry or purchasing can be validated against the information available in the Product Catalog. This uses the Product Configuration “ATTRIBUTES” subsystems and build hierarchy such as Shapes, Dimensions, Standards, Grades, Properties, required Tests, Chemistry, Production Processes and other process to complete a product sales order through to packaging, shipping/logistics, including work flow parameters, and alert notifications to staff and departments
- Shape Table Properties – user defined
- Dimension Table set up to 10 dimensions for the shapes defined above used in processing and quotes/sales
- Product Class definitions for further management of sales, inventory valuations and decision making reporting
- Product Class Definition – The heart of the SEMS® system for classifying a Product down to the ROOT level usually by shape then into more details that include class, shape, standards, properties, tests, processes required, source materials and output of resulting products – Parent, Child, Sibling hierarchy in nested views
The Production Management module provides the functionality necessary to manage and control the production process. It gives you the ability to create and manage work orders and production jobs, reserve stock against orders and quotes, schedule production and record production on-line and MILL production order. There is METAL Processing functionality for work center metal processing like slitting, cut-to-length, laser cutting, plasma cutting, rolling, shearing, sawingand forming functions. For parts manufacturing, STEELMAN has design a METAL FABRICATION MRP module that will be ready in version 4.5
- Set Up of tables for: Process Codes, Work Center Definitions, Shifts, Costing Methods (Inventory types, Rules, WIP, etc), Work Instructions for Routings, Source Materials, Equipment Work Center Capabilities, capacity thru-put rates, yields, scarp tables, scheduling by work centers
- Work Order creation and management based upon confirmed sales orders, etc.
- Production Order creation and specific metal details for each routed step or work instruction
- Material Hard or Soft Allocation management
- Detailed Cutting Planner for maximizing material cuts or processes, with scrap, drop/remnant mgt using allocated materials
- Production Scheduling by work center, allowing foreman or Planner to manually optimize the production orders scheduled for each work center and align the optimum for processes of each work center to reduce set up costs and maximize thru-put
- Packaging system and processes – skid types and costs
- Outside Processing Management
- Multiple Service Center, Multi-warehousing set up, management of inventory by location codes based upon same product code defined earlier by tag # received or bundles of tags (tag breaking mechanisms), purchasing rules and approvers
- 3rd Party storage mgt set up and processing requirements
- New Demand Planning System
Purchasing & Receiving
Purchasing and Receiving allows you to create and issue purchase orders and later receive against them. This process can be fully automated using our Electronic Data Interchange integration.
- Blanket, SPOT purchase orders, task lists for Pos, releases, push outs, apply inbound materials to use against confirmed sales orders
- Buy Requests by approved sales staff directly from Sales Order entry header screen, that is linked via our ALERT system and business process rules, created in work flow system, to notify purchasing of materials needed for out of stock or special stock orders, from a sales rep for a customer, and tracked by SEMS®.
- Vendor pricing and costing tables, parts, agreements, contract management
- Detailed Receiving entry with links to properties, tests required and recording, MILL CERTS entry and mgt, standards, defect mgt codes, claims interface, serial, lot, weight/pieces, against PO, Inventory “TAGGED” by piece or bundle received that manages “PARENT/CHILD” tags of materials as they pass through the system to record and log the genealogy of the initial “Parent Tag received, document management and attachments
Sales Order Management
Sales Order Management provides tools to promptly enter, price, quote and confirm an order. The production or shipping status of any order can be easily tracked by a sales representative or even by the customer via a secure Internet-ready interface.
- A Sales Offering provides the ability to proactively initiate sales and select the inventory items from a queried list to be included in the offering as line items.
- A fully configurable pricing tool provides maximum flexibility with formula and attribute based pricing, including COST-Plus Margin capable pricing option *
- Master Orders - Contract Management for scheduled releases of order quantities over a specific period and entered into the Sales Order system as it is needed to properly reflect credit management.
- Excellent Credit review and management from SO to Shipping
- Quick Order Entry system for Distribution & a more detailed entry system for advanced order processing
- Offers Mgt – opposite of normal sales management, where you manage offerings of products to outside buyers at bid pricing
- Pricing tables, methods, Schedules – Can be Standard Price Book or Individual Customer pricing in a detailed matrix spreadsheet style chart for materials, processes, adders, freight, etc or COST PLUS using cost of materials and processes and using last cost, standard cost, high, low, average costs to determine a price using a markup using a MARGIN % up or down to determine final customer price. Reviews historical data to determine market price for each customer or product being quoted or sold.
- Invoicing methods – can be process flowed to time of shipping and sent via printer, fax, email, EDI etc.
- Sales Agent and commission management
- 3rd Party Storage and Invoicing, releases, for process sales of customer owned inventory
- Outside Processing and full management from logistics to invoicing
- Detailed Sales History forms and reports built into Menus and especially useful having them embedded in all of our screens/forms for quick pop-up of data in forms or reports for review of critical information to make decisions.
Shipping Management provides the tools to easily build, schedule and dispatch loads to ensure that each order is filled and shipped on time. Necessary paperwork is prepared to accompany the order, including customizable invoices, bills of lading, and product documentation including mill test reports or extracts. Document delivery can be handled manually, through fax, or through automated EDI. Automatic generation of documents can be set up to print, email, fax, EDI, all related and needed customer and vendor documentation.
- Freight mgt, carriers, rates, routes
- Rules based linkage from sales, production mgt automate invoice creation and distribution via documents including Bills of Lading, Consolidate BOLs, Invoices, Acknowledgements, Certifications, etc, all can be set up via customer profile to email, print, fax these documents via the method required by each Business Partner.
- BROKER DUTY Mgt system for handling Duty tables for products bought from or sold to Foreign countries
System Management provides the underlying system infrastructure and security to run the SEMS® software.
- Table set up of individual needs of computer system, email, fax, printers, servers, reporting tools, Company Information and easy to set up configuration options
- Work Flow Rules; design of User and Process work flows for employees/departments, and business processes, that use SEMS®’s ALERT system for messaging and collaborate between people, processes and departments, this maximizes productivity and reduce processes costs and increase revenue-throughputs.
- Set Up Tables – USER DEFINED – for Global constants, markets, chemistry codes for metals, Unit of Measures- it does conversions from one type to another type in various parts of the system, multi-Currencies, Property Codes and Sub tables, Grades/Alloys, Tests to be Performed, Standards, Tolerances, Gauges, MSR details, Departments, Employees, Payment Terms, Tax Codes, FOB pts, Pricing Categories, Cost Methods and Mechanisms, Freight Carriers, Rates, Routes,, Defect Codes, Exchange Rate Mgt, EDI mgt., + more
- Document Management – for Business Partners (Vendors, Mills, Customers) and Product Code attachments, including Microsoft Office Documents, PDF, scanned imaged documents, AutoCAD/CAD, pictures for claims, Mill Certificates, etc.
The Warehouse Management module tracks and controls your inbound, in-house and material processor’s stock and work in process. Material quantities are summarized and tracked by any combination of product, grade, size, warehouse, and owner (for vendor and managed inventory). Heat data, such as chemistry and test results are also stored, in addition to cost data for each item. The history of each inventory item is maintained to provide complete traceability from the mill-heat through to the finished product.
- Multi-Service Centers with multiple warehouses that allow for real time inventory look-ups, queries in reports and forms through out the system, from QUOTE/SALES ORDER system, Inventory Mgt., Production Mgt, to Shipping.
- Inventory Transfer system
- Custom Brokerage management
- Customer 3rd Party Inventory Mgt.
- Mill Heat Entry and Mgt
- Test recording and Test required at specific stages
- Defect Codes at receiving
Reviews of STEELMAN Write a Review
No reviews have been submitted. Do you use STEELMAN? Write a review, and help other organizations like yours make smarter, more informed software selection decisions!