Microsoft Dynamics GP is an ERP solution designed for small and mid-market businesses. Key capabilities of Dynamics GP include:
- Financial management and accounting
- Inventory management and operations
- Sales and service management
- Business intelligence and reporting
- Human resources and payroll
Dynamics GP provides a single integrated software environment to help automate the business, increase sales, enhance collaboration, improve efficiency, and enable better business decision making.
Dynamics GP is available in on-premises and cloud deployments. As one of the most popular and longest tenured business management software products on the market, Dynamics GP is sold and supported by an extensive network of Microsoft-certified Value Added Resellers (VARs).
Dynamics GP Resources
- Video Overview
- Dynamics GP Real World Evaluations
- Quick Facts Q&A
- Customization & Add-ons
- Product History
- Platforms & System Requirements
- Module Descriptions
- User Reviews
Dynamics GP Real World Evaluations
Wondering if Dynamics GP is right for your organization? To better understand if it is a fit for you, explore data detailing the functional requirements, anticipated spending ranges, and company attributes of 50 businesses who recently considered purchasing Dynamics GP.
Quick Facts Q&A
Q. What functionality does Dynamics GP include?
Dynamics GP is an enterprise resource planning (ERP) product used for a variety of business management tasks. Key functional areas includes financial management, supply chain management, business intelligence, field service management, and payroll and human resources management. More.
Q. How much does GP cost?
Dynamics GP costs depend on a variety of factors including required functionality, user count, implementation & support needs, licensing model, promotion eligibility, deployment preference, and vendor pricing.
76.7% of Dynamics GP reviewers reported their maximum total estimated spending range for 3 years total cost of ownership was in the tens of thousands of dollars range.
Customized pricing is available upon request and additional Dynamics GP cost info can be found below.
Q. What are the licensing options for Dynamics GP?
Dynamics GP can be licensed as a purchased product via Microsoft Perpetual Licensing or as a cloud-based, software-as-a-service (Saas) via Microsoft Subsciption Licensing. More.
Q. What industries is Dynamics GP appropriate for?
Dynamics GP is used by companies spanning a wide variety of industries. It is most commonly reviewed by organizations in the distribution, professional services, non-profit, and manufacturing industries. More.
Q. What size companies use Dynamics GP?
Dynamics GP is developed and marketed for the SMB market.
Q. Is Dynamics GP the same thing as Great Plains?
Essentially, yes. Great Plains was the name of the company which originally developed the software, which is now known as Dynamics GP. Great Plains was acquired by Microsoft in 2000.
Q. How does Dynamics GP differ from other Dynamics products?
Microsoft offers five separate ERP products in their Dynamics line: Dynamics GP, Dynamics NAV, Dynamics SL, Dynamics 365 Enterprise Edition, and Dynamics 365 Business Edition.
Dynamics GP targets mid-market and small businesses. While the product can scale to support larger organizations, it is a frequent choice for growing companies looking to replace an entry-level accounting solution with broader departmental functionality and more advanced features.
Dynamics NAV is oriented toward mid-market businesses. Its multi-language and multi-currency capabilities make it a popular choice for companies conducting international business.
Dynamics SL offers extensive project accounting and project management capabilities, making it a strong choice for many professional services and construction/contracting companies.
Dynamics 365 Enterprise Edition is a highly customizable, Tier 1 ERP solution designed specifically for enterprise level companies. It includes all functionality formerly available from Microsoft under the Dynamics AX product brand.
Dynamics 365 Business Edition is a cloud-based management software platform designed for companies between 10-250 employees.
Q. Is Dynamics GP available “on the cloud”?
Dynamics GP is available as a cloud-based option, hosted by Microsoft authorized providers. Remote users can access full Dynamics GP functionality via Terminal Services or RDP. An HTML5 web client provides access to partial functionality.
Q. What operating systems can the Dynamics GP client software run on?
Dynamics GP is designed to run on Windows based client operating systems. However, Dynamics GP’s web client does provide access to certain key functions. The web client can be used by users on any device type (regardless of OS) so long as a supported browser and Internet connection is available.
Q. Can I run Dynamics GP on a Mac workstation?
Dynamics GP does not run as a Mac native client application. However, Mac workstations set up for Terminal Services or Windows virtualization can run Dynamics GP.
Q. What kind of tech support is available for Dynamics GP?
¬Microsoft offers three levels of basic tech support for Dynamics GP. Users requiring additional support have access to a network of independent authorized support providers qualified to provide a deeper level of support, including services such as business and technical consulting, implementation support, and product optimization services.
Q. Can Dynamics GP be customized?
Dynamics GP users seeking to customize and integrate the software can purchase the Configuration Pack, which includes Dynamics GP Customization Suite and the Dynamics GP Integration Suite.
Q. What additional 3rd party software is available to extend Dynamics GP functionality?
There is an active community of Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) developing 3rd party applications to augment Dynamics GP. An extensive table identifying popular add-on applications for Microsoft Dynamics GP is available below.
Dynamics GP supports a broad range of business management functionality, spanning core accounting, sales management, supply chain management, and more. The following table provides an overview of the key functionality contained within Dynamics GP or available via add-on solutions.
|Accounts Payable||Yes||Vendor management, electronic payments, expense management|
|Accounts Receivable||Yes||Terms management, aging, and payment tracking|
|Asset/Equipment Management||Yes||Preventative maintenance management|
|Bank Reconciliation||Yes||Automated electronic bank reconciliation|
|Bill of Materials||Yes||Inventory and manufacturing BoM options|
|Billing||Yes||Open-item invoice and recurring billing support|
|Budgeting||Yes||Versioning, roll-ups, and collaborative budgeting|
|Business Intelligence||Yes||Microsoft Business Analyzer, plus SQL & Excel reporting|
|Cash Flow Management||Yes||Create cash flow forecasts & summarize inflows, outflows|
|Commissions Management||No||Microsoft certified 3rd party add-on software available|
|Credit Card Processing||No||Microsoft certified 3rd party add-on software available|
|Customer Relationship Management||No||CRM functionality available in complementary Microsoft products|
|eCommerce||No||Microsoft certified 3rd party add-on software available|
|Estimating||No||Microsoft certified 3rd party add-on software available|
|Field Service Management||Yes||Dispatching and depot management|
|Fixed Asset Tracking||Yes||Depreciation and asset management|
|Fund Accounting||Yes||GP offers encumbrance management support|
|Fundraising Management||No||Microsoft certified 3rd party add-on software available|
|General Ledger||Yes||Customizable account structures & advanced financial analysis|
|Human Resources||Yes||Employee records and benefits management|
|Inventory Control||Yes||Robust inventory control with serial & lot # tracking|
|Job Costing||Yes||Time, expense, retainage, WIP project accounting|
|Manufacturing Execution System||No||Dynamics NAV or Dynamics 365 Enterprise Edition recommended|
|Material Requirements Planning||Yes||Consumption forecasting with production & purchase planning|
|Payroll||Yes||Full payroll and labor management reporting|
|Point-of-Sale||No||Microsoft certified 3rd party add-on software available|
|Project Management||No||Dynamics SL or Dynamics 365 Enterprise Edition recommended|
|Purchasing||Yes||Includes vendor contract management & landed cost tracking|
|Quotes||Yes||Includes quote-to-order-to-invoice conversion|
|Requisition Management||Yes||Approvals management and alerts|
|Sales Forecasting||Yes||Historical predictive analytics, rollups, & MRP integration|
|Sales Order Management||Yes||Support for full the full order cycle|
|Time Tracking||Yes||Project based timesheet|
|Warehouse Management (Advanced)||No||Microsoft certified 3rd party add-on software available|
|Work Order Management||Yes||With routing and status management|
Total project pricing for a Dynamics GP purchase will vary depending on the needs of the company making the purchase. Pricing factors include the extent of the licensed functionality, user count, hosting needs, and implementation and on-going support requirements.
The following chart displays a breakdown of estimated maximum spending ranges reported by software buyers who recently reviewed Dynamics GP as a purchase option.
There are two licensing model options available for Dynamics GP: Perpetual and Subscription.
Under the Perpetual License model, the software is owned rather than leased. Perptual License buyers can deploy the software on-premises or choose to host the software with a 3rd party hosting services provider and access it remotely.
The base Perpetual Licensing option allows three users to access the software at the same time. Microsoft refers to these user licences as “full concurrent client access licenses” or “full concurrent CALs.” It’s important to note that the three licenses provided with the base Perpetual Licensing option are “concurrent” user licenses. What this means is that a business running Dynamics GP under this licensing arrangement can set up more user accounts than three, but only three users will be allowed to access the software at the same time. Additional “CALs” can be purchased to remove the limitation of three concurrent users.
There are three different types of additional licenses that can be purchased, which offer varying levels of user privelege. “Full” user licenses offer unrestricted access to the software. “Limited” user license provide full “read” priveleges, but limit “write” access to “self-serve” employee specific infomation. “Self-serve” users have access only to personalized data. Administrators of the software can additionally choose to limit functionality for any user type.
Perpetual Licensing is available for both the Dynamics GP Starter Pack and the Dynamics GP Extended Pack.
Under the Subscription License the software is leased rather than owned. Subscription Licensing entails a cloud-based deployment, where a Microsoft-certified partner hosts the software on their server and provides access via remote access software. The Subscription License is a monthly license.
Microsoft refers to the licenses under the Subscription Licensing option as “Subscriber Access Licenses” or “SALs.” A “Standard User” SAL provides full system access. “Limited User” SALs have decreased system access. User licenses are purchased on an individual basis. Microsoft provides one additional Full SAL free of cost for a 3rd party accountant/bookkeeper and one for the Microsoft-certified partner hosting the software.
Subscription licensing is available for both the Dynamics GP Starter Pack and Extended Pack.
Starter Pack Functionality
- Financial Management: Account Level Security, Analytical Accounting, Bank Reconciliation, Cash Flow Management, Cashbook Bank Management, Customer/Vendor Consolidations, Electronic Bank Management, Electronic Banking Suite, Electronic Reconciliation Management, Encumbrance Management, Field Level Security, Fixed Asset Management, General Ledger with AFA, Grant Management, Intercompany, Lockbox Processing, Multicurrency Management, National Accounts, Payables Management, Process Server, Receivables Management, Refund Checks, Revenue/Expense Deferrals, Safe Pay
- Business Intelligence & Reporting: Advanced Analysis Cubes Library, Analysis Cubes Library, Unlimited Mgmt Reporter User, Unlimited Mgmt Reporter Viewer User
- Human Resource Management: Employee Pay, Employee Profile, Federal Magnetic Media, Human Resources Time Management, Human Resources Unlimited Employees, Payroll (Canada) Unlimited Employees, Payroll (US) Unlimited Employees, Payroll Connect, Payroll Direct Deposit, Position Control
- Supply Chain Management: Bill of Materials, Extended Pricing, Inventory Control, Invoicing, Landed Cost, Order Management, PO Generator Procurement, Project Time and Expense, Purchase Order Processing / Receivings, Sales Order Processing w/Advanced Invoicing
- Configuration and Development: Customization Site License, Identity Management, Integration Manager - Conversions Connector Microsoft Dynamics, Modifier with Visual Basic for Applications, Workflow
Extended Pack Functionality
- Business Intelligence & Reporting: Microsoft Forecaster Unlimited
- Supply Chain Management: Advanced Distribution, Advanced Picking, Available to Promise, Returns Management
- Manufacturing Solutions:Manufacturing Bill of Materials, Manufacturing Order Processing, Mater Production Scheduling, Materials Requirements Planning
- Project Management: Project Accounting
- Customer Relationship Management:Contract Administration, Service Call, Depot Management, Preventive Maintenance
- Customization Suite
- Integration Suite
Extended Human Resource and Payroll
- Human Resource: Benefits Self Service, HR Advance, PTO Manager
- Payroll: Payroll Advance
Dynamics GP is used by companies spanning a wide variety of industries and is considered to be a mainstream ERP product, rather than an “industry-specific” or “niche” ERP product.
Dynamics GP functionality can be augmented by a wide variety of add-on products developed by Microsoft Independent Software Vendors (ISVs), in order to provide industry-specific functionality.
The product now known as Dynamics GP and developed by Microsoft originated as a product called Dynamics, developed by the Great Plains software company.
Great Plains was founded in 1981. The company took its name from its geographical location, as it had its headquarters in Fargo, North Dakota.
The Dynamics name was introduced in 1993 when Great Plains released Dynamics Release 1.0. Dynamics Release 1.0 was one of the first multi-user, Windows based accounting systems designed to run as 32 bit software.
Since its purchase of Great Plains in 2000, Microsoft has continued to develop Dynamics GP as a primary accounting and business management software product offering for small and mid-market businesses. Many legacy users continue to refer to Dynamics GP as “Great Plains,” although Microsoft no longer uses the name in official product literature.
Dynamics GP Support
Microsoft directly offers three support plans: the Enhancement Plan, the Advantage Plan, and the Advantage Plus Plan.
Each Microsoft support plan provides access to product release, service pack, and tax and regulatory updates. Additionally, supported customers can access unlimited online training from predeveloped resources and access to CustomerSource which is a collection of “relevant documentation, videos, solutions to known issues, and links to related resources.”
The Advantage Plan offers an additional level of support beyond the Enhancement Plan, which is the most basic of the support options. The Advantage Plan includes six annual electronic or telephone support incidents.
Customers seeking unlimited unlimited electronic or telephone support can upgrade to the Advantage Plus Plan.
Dynamics GP is also supported by a network of “value-added resellers” (VARs). VARs offer considerably more in-depth support services including consulting, implementation support, and product optimization services.
Customizations and Add-ons
The two primary means of extending the functionality of Dynamics GP are through customization and integration with 3rd party add-on products.
Customers seeking the ability to customize the software can purchase the Configuration Pack which includes the Customization Suite. Tools available via the Customization Suite include eConnect, Web Services, Microsoft Visual Studio SDK, and Dexterity (the programming language used to create and customize Dynamics GP).
Purchasing the Configuration Pack also provides access to the Integration Suite for importing data from other applications. The Integration Suite includes the Integration Manager for Distribution, Integration Manager for Financials, eConnect, and Web Services.
The following is a list of some of the most popular 3rd party add-on products designed to augment the functionality of Dynamics GP:
Client System Requirements
|Operating System||Windows 7+|
|Hard Disk Space||2 GB|
|Required Software||Microsoft Office|
Server Systems Requirements
|Operating System||Windows Server 2008+; Microsoft SQL Server 2012+|
|Processor||1 Dual Core or 2 Single Core Processors|
|Disk Configuration||RAID 1 for OS and applications|
|Citrix||Citrix XenApp (if supporting Remote Desktop)|
The product information presented on this page is based on information provided by the developer and from previous software buyers who considered the software via Find Accounting Software referrals. Last update: 12/6/2016.
Maintain tight, efficient control over your distribution channels and drive superior customer service by harnessing distribution workflow, reducing data entry, and providing better access to distribution information.
- Manage your inventory more effectively. Make the best use of your inventory and control its distribution more efficiently by identifying and optimizing the key step in your fulfillment process.
- Increase productivity and data accuracy. Reduce the time employees spend manually entering data and the associated risk of introducing errors by tightly integrating and automatically sharing information between fulfillment and invoicing processes.
- Respond to your customers. Give your customers what they need and want — fast, efficient service — by tailoring workflow, item codes, and pick lists to their specific requirements without extra effort or disruption.
- Maximize your net profit. Avoid costly errors or delays and improve customer satisfaction and retention with configurable, effective workflow.
- Access precise information. Remove roadblocks to productivity and enable efficient customer service by giving your employees easy access to all the current and historical information on your distribution line — shipment date, status, latest receipts, and more — and increasing information visibility with advanced distribution SmartLists.
- Configure your solution to meet specific needs. Smoothly tailor the solution to provide the control and information you require to meet your business needs and those of your customers.
- User-Defined Delivery Cycle. Identify and define key points in the fulfillment process and associate them with specific operations such as printing, pick list production, or confirmations.
- Variable Workflow. Configure workflow to produce an unlimited number of workflow document profiles, depending on the operating methods of individual departments or needs of specific customers.
- Automatic Back-Order Allocation. Maximize delivery efficiency by allocating newly received inventory automatically across existing sales orders and updating Quantity to Invoice data based on defined rules.
- Order-to-Invoice Transfer. Build pick batches for wave picking based on a number of criteria such as customer priority, shipment date, customer class, or document ID.
- Extensive Transaction Search. View, track, and modify transactions onscreen using a wide range of parameters such as ID, workflow status, batch number, or custom codes.
- Customer Item Code Support. Cross-reference inventory and order-taking tools to the customer’s own item codes to speed inquiries from both customer service reps and the customer.
- Customer-Specific Item Substitution. Set automatic or date-sensitive item substitution to smoothly manage promotions, item shortages, or other needs.
- Customer-Specific Picking. Customize instructions and print graphic-quality pick lists for specific combinations of customers and items to accommodate special needs such as specific labeling, preparation, or packaging requirements.
- Enhanced Lot Management. Set custom rules for inventory date requirements, and receive automatic warnings when stock to be received falls below minimum acceptable shelf life rules.
- Fulfillment Order. Connect fulfillment and invoicing processes and reduce data entry by transferring quotes, back orders, and orders to a Fulfillment Order, which can then be turned into a final invoice for posting.
- Tighter Integration to Quantity Fulfilled. Help eliminate manual processes for entering fulfillment quantities on sales line items with automatic updating of Quantity Fulfilled during the Pick Confirmation step.
- Document Status Rollback. Perform rollbacks for individual or groups of documents for precise tracking control at any stage of the ordering and fulfillment process.
Supply Chain Management - Advanced Picking
Keep pace with competitive markets and low margins. Advanced Picking capabilities provide you with the flexibility needed to reduce handling and increase accuracy for both single and multi-site warehouse operations.
Analyze financial data by whatever criteria you require, introduce greater reporting flexibility and extensibility, and analyze transactions efficiently.
Analytical Accounting in Microsoft DynamicsTM GP helps you respond more quickly to the growing demands of your business. Empower your people to make quick decisions by providing them access to real-time information they can easily analyze with familiar tools they already know how to use. Analyze reports in multiple formats and from multiple angles. Monitor all transactions more easily using drill-down and inquiry capabilities.
- Improve your decision making. Focus on the financial data that you need to make better business decisions by including or restricting report content that is important to your organization’s reporting needs.
- Gain deep visibility. Achieve a detailed view into your accounting transactions and enable deep analysis with capabilities to organize data hierarchically for multi-level reporting.
- Take control of your accounting processes. Define the information that is important to your business and analyze financial data by whatever criteria you require, with limitless user defined transaction dimension codes and account classes.
- Increase accuracy. Improve financial analysis and reporting accuracy with functions that facilitate easier data entry and sharply reduce user error. Benefit from tight integration. Find and analyze transactions with precision across your entire organization with smooth integration across Microsoft Dynamics GP modules, including General Ledger, Receivables, Payables, Inventory, Sales Order Processing, Purchase Order Processing, Grant Management, and Bank Reconciliation.
- Transaction Dimensions. Classify, report, and analyze financial transactions based on your specific business needs, with an unlimited number of user-defined transaction dimensions, including Cost Center, Profit Center, Region, and Hours, as well as predefined system transaction dimensions such as Customer, Vendor, Item, and Site.
- Transaction Dimension Codes. Attach user-defined transaction dimension codes to ledger transactions, eliminating the need to analyze transactions on the basis of account segments. Apply dimension codes to the Purchases/Inventory account for immediate tracing upon entering a Purchase Order transaction.
- Wizard-Driven Inquiries. Generate multi-level reports more easily with wizard-driven inquiries that integrate with Microsoft® Office Excel® and Microsoft Dynamics GP SmartLists.
- Simplified Navigation. Access distribution detail more easily when analytical and distribution accounts are associated with an account class. A new icon added to every Analytical Accounting and General Ledger distribution transaction screen helps you move efficiently between windows.
- Valid Code Combinations. Define valid transaction dimension code combinations to prevent invalid combinations from being entered for a transaction. For example, a product group and region must always appear together, and a project and cost center can never appear together.
- Grant Budget Validation. Automatically validate grant budgets when assigning a grant dimension code to transactions, ensuring fund availability.
- Reports in Microsoft Office Excel. Execute and display multi-level reports in Office Excel for easy manipulation, integration of non-accounting business data, and enhanced presentation.
- Implode/Explode. Decide how much detail you need to view throughout your entire report or section by section with an implode and/or explode function.
- Integration. Analyze transactions across your entire organization with smooth integration across other modules in Microsoft Dynamics GP, including General Ledger, Receivables Management, Payables Management, Inventory, Sales Order Processing, Purchase Order Processing, Grant Management, and Bank Reconciliation
- SmartList Objects. Create Analytical Accounting SmartLists.
- Budget Based on a Start and End Date Select a start and end date to support budgets of varying time intervals—such as quarterly, semi-annually, or multi-year—while keeping the existing options for fiscal year intact for budgets.
Analytics and Reporting
Analysis Cubes for Excel
Improve your ability to analyze and report financial data, and share information across your organization
Analyze financial data by whatever criteria you require, introduce greater reporting flexibility and extensibility, and analyze transactions efficiently
Transform your Microsoft Dynamics GP data into presentation-quality information so you can make better business decisions, with compelling views of business data created easier and faster than ever before
Enterprise Reporting offers you the most efficient reporting solution available for complex, distributed environments. It allows you to easily automate procedures unique to your business environment for complete control over consolidations, financial reporting, budgeting, and analysis
Take control of the future of your organization with Microsoft Business Solutions for Analytics–Forecaster. Meet business objectives and gain competitive advantage with budgeting and planning capabilities that allow you to plan more effectively and respond quickly to changing business needs.
Microsoft FRx Professional
Master your financial reporting process with Microsoft Business Solutions for Analytics–FRx Professional. High-performance capabilities give you comprehensive, highly customizable financial and management reports that are easy to create, distribute, and use.
Create the sophisticated analytical reports you need to drive your business forward, taking advantage of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services
Available to Promise
Supply Chain Management - Available to Promise
Empower your employees to make strategic decisions and provide superior service. New inventory and order management capabilities help ensure the right inventory is available at the right time to meet customer needs and boost profitability.
Financial Management - Bank Reconciliation
Gain unparalleled access to mission-critical financial information within your business and turn that data into a powerful competitive tool, while at the same time controlling it with greater efficiency and ease than ever before.
Bill of Materials
Manufacturing - Bill of Materials
Delivers complete, consistent, and correct product information, enabling you to maximize production efficiency and cut inventory costs across the extended enterprise. By tightly integrating different types of bills and customized definitions into manufacturing operations, Bill of Materials helps improve performance, support time-to-market and time-to-volume objectives, and ensure materials are where they should be, when they are needed.
Track multiple budgets for multiples fiscal years in multiple currencies and General Ledger Accounts. Easily update and maintain budgets by leveraging Microsoft Excel to import and export. Also get insight to your business by reporting budget verses actual by year, quarter or month. Keep an audit trail of who modifies a budget and when, to maintain control over your business.
Cash Flow Management
Improve cash flow with customizable information views and forecasting capabilities that let you monitor, predict, and manage inflows and outflows.
- Understand cash flow trends. Manage your current cash inflow and outflow more efficiently and forecast balances based on multiple scenarios to improve cash flow control and help ensure that cash flow concerns are dealt with effectively.
- See the big picture and drill down to details. View cash flow information in a userfriendly, calendar-based interface that helps you sort through information quickly and gives you the details you need to make insightful decisions.
- Predict and understand anticipated cash flow. Identify any shortfalls or surpluses, make smarter investment decisions, and improve your day-to-day financial planning.
- View cash flow information the way you want. Customize Cash Flow Management to your specific needs, choosing modules to include in calculations, define your own cash flow transactions, or chose an optional Forecast definition to support complex cash flow analysis.
- Connect financial information across your business. Gain greater control over cash flow and expenses with seamless integration with Microsoft Dynamics GP Payables, Receivables, Sales Order, Purchase Order, and General Ledger modules.
- Customized Calculations. Customize the selection of data to include in your calculations and manage cash flow without having to export data to a spreadsheet.
- Daily Balance. Checking Control your day-to-day operations with clear views of daily inflows and outflows of cash to identify shortfalls or surpluses and running balances.
- Transaction Tracing. Click on cash flow entries and view the originating transaction to see which payments and cash receipts affect your cash flow on any given day.
- Flexible Forecasting. Create up to three different forecasts based on many different scenarios, including different opening balances, information from other modules, and posted or unposted transactions.
- Calendar Scrolling. View your cash flow for the current or coming months, scroll from month to month, or check specific dates using the graphical calendar view, to understand your cash balances now and in the future.
- Intuitive Graphical Views. Find information quickly with intuitive, graphical views that can be expanded or collapsed to show or hide more detailed subentries.
- Multiple Scenarios. Record “what if” transactions in Cash Flow Management for planning or decision making, without affecting any posting journal.
- Trends Revealed Clearly. Show cash flow trends clearly with weekly and monthly calendar reports including base summaries, source-based summaries, source-based details, transactions by category, and more.
- Daily Changes Detailed. Display detailed listings of all source documents making up the net change to cash flow in a given day and drill down for greater detail.
- Multiple Sorts, Instant Reports. Sort transactions in multiple ways and print the reports you need instantly.
Financial Management - eBanking
Automate your critical banking activities and interact electronically with your bank with comprehensive tools that help reduce administrative costs, increase productivity, and improve cash management—in a security-enhanced environment.
Financial Management - eExpense
Enhance employee productivity and reduce processing costs with expense reporting capabilities that streamline expense management processes, eliminate paper receipts, and enable employees to create and submit reports any time, from any location.
Electronic Document Delivery
Supply Chain Management - Electronic Document Delivery
Organize and schedule the e-mail delivery of invoices, credit memos, and other sales documents to your customers in XML, HTML, Microsoft Office Excel, or PDF format, reducing administrative overhead and increasing customer responsiveness.
Financial Management - Encumbrance Management
Manage your budgets more proactively by streamlining reporting processes.
Engineering Change Management
Keep pace with accelerating markets. Engineering Change Management in Microsoft DynamicsTM GP provides manufacturers with easy ways to collect, organize, and review changes to orders before they’re authorized. Adjust processes and components to accommodate new technologies and customer changes while maintaining or improving efficiency and profitability.
Support customer satisfaction. Ensure that engineering changes yield production efficiency—while controlling costs—and help maintain high levels of customer satisfaction. Improve visibility for better decision making. Identify items affected by engineering change orders (ECOs) with advanced query capabilities. Detailed historical records of ECOs help management understand why changes have been made and how they impact profitability.
Ensure efficient production. Eliminate the potential for confusion on the shop floor with better organized and more accessible engineering change information. Help ensure that product builds follow correct revision models without having engineers walk the floor, communicate manually, punch revision stamps, or make new bills of materials or routings.
Closely monitor implementation of change orders. Monitor engineering more effectively with ECO aging functionality, ensuring that authorized changes move forward expeditiously.
Supply Chain Management - Field Service
Manage complex field service operations with higher levels of profitability and customer satisfaction. Nine powerful modules integrate essential accounting, distribution, and service processes to increase technician productivity, reduce overhead, and open up new revenue opportunities while focusing on what’s important — your customer.
Fixed Asset Management
Financial Management - Fixed Asset Management
Take control of your company’s assets and put them to the best possible use in your organization with the asset management capabilities you need to effectively track, analyze, and utilize those assets to make them work for you.
Sharply reduce time and effort spent on key accounting tasks with comprehensive automation. Track and analyze your financial information in the way that best suits your business—not someone else’s—with tools and accounting structures that you design yourself to serve your needs. The intelligent accounting and analysis capabilities of General Ledger in Microsoft DynamicsTM GP empower you to manage the financial heart of your business, giving you the vital information you need to make your finances work for you and improve the way you do business.
Maintain precise focus with advanced automation. Refocus your energy on mission-critical issues by minimizing time spent on routine accounting tasks through automation of general ledger transactions, payment adjustments, and more.
- Improve your decision making. Get the answers you need to make better business decisions with comprehensive reports and easy-touse inquiry tools that facilitate rapid, accurate analysis of your business operations.
- Streamline your accounting. Reduce transaction entry steps, and increase accuracy by copying, voiding, deleting, or correcting general ledger transactions with full audit control.
Improve your efficiency. Empower your employees with a straightforward, consistent focus for managing accounting data that lowers administrative costs and gives you tight control over the financial heart of your business.
- Benefit from tight integration. Expand your business potential by using General Ledger to tap into information in other modules in Microsoft Dynamics GP, and include that information in accounting or analysis tasks.
Flexible Accounting Tools
From flexible account options to intelligent transaction processing, the comprehensive accounting tools in General Ledger enable you to capture and analyze vital financial information so you know where you’ve been and can chart where you’re going.
- Quickly void or delete un-posted transactions, back out or reverse posted transactions, and create correcting entries?all with full audit control.
- Improve advanced financial analysis capabilities by modifying existing General Ledger financial reports or creating new reports?all with comparative analysis and complete graphical support.
- Create customized account structures and personalized shortcut navigation.
- Capture non-financial data and link it to accounts, without recording the information in General Ledger.
- Simplify transaction management with general, recurring, and autoreversing entries.
- Efficiently handle multiple currencies with full control over transactions in either the original or functional (home) currencies.
Analyze financial data by whatever criteria you require, introduce greater reporting flexibility and extensibility, and analyze transactions efficiently.
- Focus on the financial data you need to make better business decisions by including or restricting report content that is important to your organization’s reporting needs.
- Achieve a detailed view of your accounting transactions, and enable deep analysis by organizing data hierarchically for multi-level reporting.
- Define the information that is important to your business and analyze financial data by whatever criteria you require, using user-defined transaction dimension codes and account classes.
- Improve financial analysis and reporting accuracy with functions that facilitate easier data entry and sharply reduce user error.
- Find and analyze transactions with precision across your entire organization with tight integration across the following modules in Microsoft Dynamics GP—General Ledger, Receivables Management, Payables Management, Inventory, Sales Order Processing, Purchase Order Processing, Grant Management, and Bank Reconciliation.
- User-Defined Accounting Structures. Design an accounting structure to suit your business or create unique structures for each company in your organization. It’s easy with extensive flexibility, structures up to 66 characters long, up to 10 segments of any length, and customizable General Ledger fields.
- Flexible Account and Transaction Management. Manage accounts and transactions with unlimited flexibility using user-defined accounting structures, definable fiscal periods, prior-year adjustments, batch posting, cross-module auditing, and more.
- General Ledger Account Descriptions. Automatically display General Ledger account descriptions based on previously defined segments for increased efficiency. Easily create default budget templates?complete with accounts, descriptions, and default amounts?in Microsoft® Office Excel®, and then export and import budgets to and from Office Excel through an interactive wizard.
- General Ledger Reports. Improve advanced financial analysis capabilities by modifying existing General Ledger financial reports or creating new reports with unitaccount information, comparative analysis, and complete graphical support.
- Microsoft FRx Desktop Reports. Easily create comprehensive reports consolidating information from multiple companies or provisional transactions; or define new reporting relationships with Microsoft FRx® Desktop.
- System-wide Information Access. Find and analyze the exact information you need through the tight integration of General Ledger with other Microsoft Dynamics GP modules such as Receivables Management, Payables Management, Invoicing, Sales Order Processing, and Crystal Reports.
- Copy General Ledger Entries. Reduce data entry and increase accuracy by copying an existing General Ledger transaction and using it as the basis for new transactions.
- Void and/or Correct General Ledger Transactions. Quickly void or delete unposted transactions, back out or reverse posted transactions, and post corrected entries—all with full audit control.
- Make General Ledger Accounts Inactive. Maintain precise control with the ability to mark both posting and unit accounts inactive at any point in time (with or without balances).
- Budget Based on Start and End Date. Select a start and end date to support budgets of varying time intervals, such as quarterly, semi-annually, or multi-year, while keeping the existing options for fiscal year intact for budgets.
- Interfund Accounting. Help reduce errors associated with manual reconciliation of funds. Transfer balances between accounts accurately and efficiently. Part of the Intercompany Transactions module, interfund accounting is especially important to public sector and not-for-profit agencies.
Financial Management - Grant Management
Automate many of your grant management processes to track funds more easily, demonstrate accountability, and help attract future funding.
Human Resources Management
HR Management Self-Service Suite: United States
HR Management Self-Service Suite: Canada Streamline human resources management, and empower employees to view and update personal information from any Web browser. The HR Management Self-Service Suite integrates human resources and payroll data and helps provide accurate, current information across your organization.
Supply Chain Management - Inventory Management
Give your business a competitive edge. By controlling inventory effectively and setting prices on a customer-by-customer basis, you can reduce operating costs and achieve the fast, efficient fulfillment that keeps them coming back.
Manufacturing - Job Costing
To help ensure business is profitable, you need accurate, current, and easy-to-access data about every costing detail relating to a job. Job Costing delivers this functionality to manufacturers by capturing all costs when they occur, and consolidating them into one location that’s easy to access and manage—delivering a comprehensive view of production profitability.
Materials Requirements Planning
Manufacturing - Materials Requirements Planning
Material Requirements Planning helps you realize the control you need to compete. Deep visibility into material requirements translates into more effective resource planning—helping reduce stock outages, drive down inventory costs, and streamline the production process.
Financial Management - Multicurrency Management
Take control of multinational operations and manage currency transactions smoothly and efficiently with flexible, powerful multicurrency capabilities.
Manufacturing - Order Processing
Track production costs in detail and manage work orders, routings, outsourcing, and work center definitions. By directing the entire cycle of order processing, you can build a business that is both customer-driven and profitable.
Financial Management - Payables Management
Improve your control over expenses with up-to-the-minute information about your payables, easy management of your vendors, and effort-saving automation of many routine or complex tasks that provides a great return on investment.
Payroll: United States
Streamline your payroll requirements, enable your staff to handle complex and changing payroll situations quickly and accurately, and offer better service to your employees while reducing necessary overhead costs.
Financial Management - Project Accounting
Maintain tight control over strategic direction, support resources effectively, and ensure that projects are completed on time and within budget. Project Accounting connects project activities with company financials, provides extensive reporting capabilities, and helps ensure accurate accounting and billing processes throughout project life-cycles.
Project Time and Expense
Financial Management - Project Time and Expense
Project Time and Expense for provides project team members and managers with a way to effectively capture, review and approve project time and expense data on the Web, enabling prompt, accurate customer invoicing and efficient reimbursement for out-of-pocket employee expenses.
Purchase Order Processing
Supply Chain Management - Purchase Order Processing
Take control of your business processes and empower your employees to make sound business decisions and minimize costs. Purchase Order Processing capabilities streamline purchasing tasks and equip employees to track and manage vital commitments on the fly.
Make quality assurance a powerful competitive advantage with tight control of the quality testing process — helping to ensure that products consistently meet or exceed demanding customer requirements. By allowing you to design testing procedures of incoming materials to meet your manufacturing process, Microsoft Dynamics™ GP Quality Assurance equips you to start with the quality of raw materials that you require, and dramatically reduces manufacturing delays, rework, and scrap.
Improve your quality assurance of incoming raw materials. Define quality assurance processes that fit precise product demands to refine and optimize testing of incoming raw materials. Flexible quality sampling, accurate tracking of destructive testing, and process revisions are easy to implement and administer — an advantage when quality counts.
Manage your information better. Leverage the results of your testing more effectively. Quality Assurance makes management of test results easy and fast. Flexible reporting allows customized parameters to be defined for specific vendors and customers, enhancing performance on all counts.
Make quality shine for customer service. Support high retention levels by providing customers with detailed, current information on the quality assurance testing for the products manufactured for them. By having Quality Assurance support the production of high quality products, those products are better received — again reinforcing customer satisfaction.
Collaborate more efficiently with supply chain partners. Enable suppliers to respond quickly and effectively to your needs by providing them with fast, accurate information regarding quality assurance processes. Quality Assurance provides clear, concise reports to facilitate this collaboration across the supply chain.
- Flexible Test Definition Information. Define quality assurance procedures according to specific needs, from single step measures to complex operations with multiple actions. All items can be designated for test or no test, and users may define test sample sizes.
- Controlled Quality Level Definition. Designate test specifications according to your specific needs, from quality levels to required sample sizes, using acceptable quality level (AQL) tables.
- Powerful Defect Management. Track, manage, and analyze defects that are the most common source of manufacturing and quality problems. Easily define disposition instructions to tell inspectors what to do when defective material is identified.
- Destructive Testing Management. Quality tests can be set as “destructive” to alert the system that the material tested is destroyed and unavailable for use in production.
- Improved Access to Critical Data. Detailed information on incoming material is tracked and recorded so that vital data — including lots, serial numbers, and purchase orders — can be easily accessed and recalled.
- Detailed Reporting of Test Results. Report test results to meet your business needs. Create reports summarizing defects discovered during inspection with the Non-Standard Report (NSR). Issue Supplier Corrective Action Requests (SCARs) to ensure that vendors are made aware of the problem, research its source or sources, and take action to prevent recurrences.
Financial Management - Receivables Management
Maximize your business computing potential by moving processor-intensive tasks off the computers your employees use every day and onto dedicated process servers, avoiding costly slow-downs and vastly improving computer performance.
Supply Chain Management - Requisition Management
Help increase control and visibility over your entire purchasing process, reduce paperwork, and automate approval processes. With Requisition Management, employees can enter purchase requisitions online for manager approval and automatic transfer to Microsoft Dynamics GP Purchase Order Processing.
Manufacturing - Sales Forecasting
Whenever you bring together people to accomplish a task, communication challenges may arise—especially when those people have different objectives and backgrounds. Your sales teams and manufacturing managers probably face these challenges—yet effective communication between these divergent groups is the first step to ensuring product delivery that’s both efficient and effective.
Sales Order Processing
Supply Chain Management - Sales Order Processing
Enhance employee productivity and streamline your distribution process with sales order and invoicing capabilities that help you enter and process orders quickly and accurately and give you more control over your business process.
Reviews of Dynamics GP Write a Review
An anonymous Dynamics GP user says...
Difficult program to navigate in. Need a lot of support to have the system perform the functions unique to our business. Not as user friendly as we would have preferred.
The good: You cannot make errors in the system if you follow the pathway that is set up. After you learn the program, it is a lot easier to utilize.
The bad: Not exactly the best product for a healthcare manufacturing business.
Not fully integrated yet as we are still in the process of doing it yet. However, the biggest freedom is the name-brand. We are familiar with the name and received a recommendation from someone I worked with for quite a while. We feel in good hands, and the hold up on implementation has really just been due to a lack of manpower.
The good: The support and timing of it all has been great and we feel this is because of the name-brand behind the software (even if it is a VAR we are working with).
The bad: Nothing to complain about yet
An anonymous Dynamics GP user says...
Just getting set up on it. Still in the stumbling stage.
The good: Sales pad that went with it will be a great asset to our company.
The bad: Nothing to complain about yet.
An anonymous Dynamics GP user says...
There are things we like and dislike. It was quite tough for us to implement, that was the most important bad quality we found. We still don’t use the full capabilities of it. We kind of scaled back some of our operations, so we do not have good or bad to say about.
The good: Nothing to write home about.
The bad: The implementation was a pain, but the software worked well for us. Nothing negative to say about the functionality.
An anonymous Dynamics GP user says...
Too early to tell. Still in beginning stages and building reports. The fact that you can customize things the way you want it is key for us as a company. That is all I know right now, I am hoping to more to come in phase 2 as we get customer information uploaded.
The good: Customization is key
The bad: No complaints yet but we are still early in implementation
An anonymous Dynamics GP user says...
There are a lot of features in GP 2016 that make sense. For example: entering AP, Invoices that are dated the previous month are not allowed to be entered into a closed period. We have to okay two windows to get past this. Not a huge problem, but should not even be an issue in AP. It can be fixed, but at a price. Kind of crazy to be charged for something that should not happen (common sense, invoices can be from previous months). Also, two functions that were added, ($), you have to have authorization to use unless you are management or above. Other “under management” need to access reports and enter Journals. Should be a high level access unless the company requires and then the individual company can implement on their own.
The good: Nothing works properly yet, so can’t answer honestly
The bad: Software doesn’t seem to be complete, needs to have a lot of fixing within the system.
John from Pella Corporation says...
We upgraded to GP2013. The process was simple for us. A couple areas I thought were going to be tricky (migrating to Management Reporter and Econnect) were not as painful as I thought they would be.
The good: We like Dynamics GP as it is simple to use and each version keeps getting better.
The bad: We do have some orders that combine invoiced items with credit items and GP likes to keep these on separate items. It would be nice if it allowed this.
Matt from Cornerstone Restaurant Group says...
We use Dynamics GP primarily for its Finance and Purchasing functions, but it can offer so much more. It is a truly dynamic software in every sense of the word, and can integrate with a multitude of other software programs. This will surely take your accounting system management to the next level.
The good: Details, details, details! Dynamics GP does a great job of storing transaction and vendor details, but also does a good job of allowing the user the ability to slice and dice the information as desired via its SmartList module. This has helped us greatly in preparing 1099’s for vendors, running A/P reports, and other things to help us analyze our business.
The bad: The software can be used for a small business, or a business as big as a Fortune 500 Enterprise. If you are a small business without an IT department, prepare to get your feet wet.
An anonymous Dynamics GP user says...
MS GP allows for customization, integrates with our system though various plugins, reporting is overly complicated. This can be over come if you have programmer to write reports, or purchase reporting software to simplify the process. Reconciliations are ok as long as it is a bank account only, forget credit card and other financial tools that one would typically need to reconcile. This too is over come by an expensive add on.
The good: its ability to integrate with other systems
The bad: reporting capabilities is way too complicated, even for basic reports. Drill down would be a nice feature for out of the box reports.
Chris from Redwood Mortgage says...
The software will reduce our time and increase our accuracy for financial reporting by holding greater amounts of information and increasing our reporting capabilities.
On the downside, the ease of attaching backup documents directly to journal entries does not appear to be a slick process.
The good: The ability to have a Chart of Accounts with a variety of segments to allow us to track and report in greater detail.
The bad: Attaching documents directly to transactions does not appear to be an easy process. This may hamper our goal of eliminating paper stored in binders, drawers, etc.
An anonymous Dynamics GP user says...
Dynamics GP is a full-featured accounting suite with so many customizable modules it will make your head spin. Once you get everything the way you like it, its a fantastic application that will speed up your accounting department and decrease human error.
The good: I was only involved with the installation and setup, but I enjoyed how relatively painless the whole process was.
The bad: It has so many features that it can be overwhelming, and when something goes wrong, the error descriptions are not always helpful.
Sean from East Texas Copy Systems, Inc. says...
Moved from QuickBooks to GP without conversion of most of our history. Our Vendor made the conversion smooth and setups, with their help, were easy and smooth! Reports are extremely easy to setup and allow greater control over financial position. We are now reporting not only for our locations, but departments within our locations across the state. Great step for us!
The good: This product allows us to set up locations and departments so that we can track our operations and see trends or problems long before we ever could before. We are not as finite with the software as we could be, it allows for 5 subclasses of accounts, we are only using 2, but for us it is enough!
The bad: Reporting takes a little research to figure out as it is a separate module and runs off of the SQL Reporting engine.
Helena from Bay Disposal & Recycle says...
We just implemented the software December 2nd. We haven’t fully gotten involved with all it will do but am “LOVING IT” so far. We were using a very old and outdated system previously.
The good: Still VERY new to the software. But it is Excel friendly and Windows based so it is much easier to work with.
The bad: Still working out the kinks.