Black Mountain Software’s Government Accounting is powerful suite of Fund Accounting applications which provides integration and functionality best suited for Municipalities and Utility Districts. There is a similar product line for specifically for school district accounting.
The main product line includes:
- Business Licensing
- Human resources
- Sales tax
- Accounts Receivable
- Cemetery Management
- Budget Preparation
- Asset Manager
At the hub of Black Mountain Software is the Accounting Suite, which comes with General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Journal Entries and hundreds of reports. It connects Billing, Receipting, Payroll, Fixed Assets, Budget Preparation and all other applications. With this Government Accounting Software, you can develop and produce a Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), based on the GASB34 reporting model, including the GASB Statement of Net Assets and the Statement of Activities.
The optional Purchase Order encumbrance subsystem and the Remote Requisition subsystem are embedded in this Government Accounting Software. Enable workflow that begins with paperless purchase requests/approvals and ends with accurate, real-time, to-date budget commitment information–no small thing when fiscal year end looms and over-extending budgets isn’t an option.
Add-on modules for Montana Counties include:
- Document indexing
The power of integrated fund accounting and budget preparation is available now:
- Multiple Levels Of Security - allows you to customize access to the system and its functions.
- Loads Revenue And Expenditure Line Items from bmsGovernment Finance for preparation of the fiscal year budget. This can take only seconds depending on number of lines.
- Import Of Specific File– Format accommodates getting started first year if Budget already partially complete.
- Real Time Current Year Actual For Line Item and total preliminary budget for a fund are displayed on each budget line record.
- New Line Items can be added directly in Budget Preparation = bmsBudget Preparation. Non-Current line items that are no longer used can be maintained in the system for comparison or historical purposes.
- Provides For Fund Reserves and Adjustment of Cash available for budget purposes.
- Multiple Budget Scenarios can be saved and/or restored.
- Transfer Budget Lines To Accounting 2.0 When Desired. Transferring may be done as many times as necessary during the budget process to facilitate on going general ledger accounting transactions
- Uses Microsoft Excel to create instant graphs of the information based on certain system reports - like Expenditure/Revenue Budget Comparison, Expenditure/Revenue
- Budget Comparison by Year or Payroll Budget Comparison.
- Instant Access To Ledger’s month to date totals. Provides total year view.
- Preliminary Budget Figures - and line items may be added by using a one or a combination of the following methods:
- Manually in each ledger account.
- Remotely by department heads using secure access where changes are restricted to their budgets only.
- Automatically by using the previous year’s budget or actual figures - or - a percentage of either. This can be applied to all budgets or selected budgets by account code range.
- Centralize payroll budgeting
Integrated Payroll Budget Module:
- Create annual payroll using anticipated rates
- System calculates account totals supplying line item budget amounts.
- Build Salary schedules that allow you to quickly do what if cost analysis for budgeting or for salary negotiations. Know instantly how a 3 % salary increase would affect non-salary payroll expenditures.
- Schedules integrated with payroll to automatically adjust an employee’s salary for longevity pay and other corresponding increases.
- Payroll Employee spreadsheet allows for anticipated changes in rates at any point during the budget year.
- Expenditure account changes can also be applied in any month and to different pay types resulting in the most accurate kind of payroll budgeting.
- Revenue Budget
- Expenditure Budget
- Revenues Compared with Expenditures
- Expenditure by Activity & Object
- Revenue/Expenditure Summary
- Fund Summary of Revenues
- Summary of Appropriations by Fund & Object
- Fund Budget Summary
- User Reporting Capabilities
- Review & Reprint reports capabilities
- Reports can be printed to screen for preview, directly to printer, to a file or to email
- Special Payroll Budgeting Reports
- Payroll Detail Report
- Accounting Summary
- Payroll Summary
Streamline your check printing process with this easy and secure module:
- Produce checks with 1 or 2 valid signatures - signature file securely embedded
- No extra hardware to install - Signatures are automatically printed at same time checks are printed
- Available for both the Accounting and Payroll applications
- Password protected - checks with signatures cannot be printed without an additional valid password
- Checks can be printed normally - (without signature) with regular password access to the check printing function
gain an integrated fund accounting solution:
- Manage Both Inventory And Capitalized Assets - System provides for managing both Capitalized Assets as well as valuable inventory items without having to set up a special definition.
- Critical Descriptive Information
- Set up a location hierarchy that includes: Location, Building, Room and Person Responsible.
- Identify and classify your assets through the use of Tag, Item Class, Type Class, Organization, Description, Remarks, and Asset Status. Record: Quantity, Unit Cost, Total Cost, Date Acquired, Replacement Value, Salvage Value, Useful Life, Depreciation Method, and Disposal Date.
- System Calculates adjusted 1st year depreciation, Annual Depreciation and Total Depreciation.
- Critical Accounting Information - Set up all associated accounting entries over the life of the asset: Acquisition Accounting, Depreciation, Transfers, and Disposal.
- Accounting System supplies acquisition accounting from the claim invoice upon entry of Vendor Code
- Set up Depreciation accounting one time to automatically generate each year of depreciation entries and history
- Record Transfer Accounting to move the asset to a new fixed asset account
- Enter Disposal account line to complete the assets useful life
- Automatically Generates Accounting Entries - All accounting entries are journalized by the fixed asset system. The Journal Voucher is sent to the accounting system and posted to the ledgers at your convenience.
- Replacement Values - Automatically update replacement values once a year for insurance purposes. System uses the most current years CPI index. CPI index is updated in the Asset system once a year as soon as it is available.
- Digital Photo Of Asset Or Inventory Item - Work directly from each record to easily import digital photographs of your assets and inventory items. The photograph is available for instant viewing each time the asset record is accessed.
- Assets And Inventory Items Not In The Fixed Asset System - Asset System looks at Accounting System claims to find assets or inventory. Any items in a claim marked as inventory or are coded with a capitalized expenditure object are included. This simplifies entry and paperwork for the fixed asset clerk. Once these items are added as a fixed asset record and acquisition accounting is recorded they will no longer appear in the list.
Here are a few example of reports and report variations:
- Assets by Tag, Physical Location, Person Responsible, Item Class, Organization, and Type Class
- Summary by Asset Fund Group
- Detail by Asset Fund Group
- Depreciation Accounting by Tag
- Summary by Method Acquired
- Disposed Assets
- Acquisition History by Fund, Account, Object
- Depreciation Accounting by Tag, Fund, Account, Object, Location, Type Class, and Asset Fund Group
- Insurance Detail by Location and Type Class
- Reports can be printed to screen for preview, directly to printer, to a file or to email
Here are some features of government finance:
- Full Fund Accounting - with a double-entry system based on your personalized Chart of Accounts.
- Multiple Accounting Periods - Allows multiple periods to be open at one time (including at fiscal year end) to facilitate balancing and closing while still getting your current transactions completed. A 13th month is available for year end adjustments.
- Ledgers updated immediately - documents are posted when created providing accurate reports for any time period.
- Balanced Accounting Entries - One-sided entries cannot be posted. The system requires that there is an appropriate offset to each accounting entry. Except for Journal Vouchers all transactions will supply correct offset accounting.
- Full Integration - All other modules that generate accounting entries are integrated with bmsGovernment Finance. There are never manual Journal entries needed for transactions created in one of our applications.
- Document Editing and Cancellation - A one-step process. No manual journal vouchers required. The accounting entries are automatically reversed. Editing and reposting is simple.
- Vendor and Other On Line Queries - Quick look-ups for vendor claim history, revenue and expenditure budgets through query screens.
- Purchase Orders - Full encumbrance accounting, E-mail or directly fax PO to vendor. Automatically generates appropriate accounting if PO crosses fiscal year.
- Recurring Documents - Any transaction can be set as recurring on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis.
- Interest Allocation - distribution can be preset. All you have to do is enter the total interest amount and post. The system will allocate the interest to the appropriate line items.
- Project Accounting - manage expenditures, revenues, and balance sheets (across funds if necessary) by using a project account code. Manage a grant across fiscal years by setting begin and end date and grant amount.
- Direct Document Scanning - For Example: selecting the scan button on the claim entry form automatically scans and attaches invoice images to the claim record for instant viewing. Scanning is available for many kinds of system records - Journal Vouchers, Cash receipts, Claims, Vendor, etc.
- Budget Revisions - During the fiscal year increase or decrease budget amounts with full tracking.
- Security the software functions. Allow access to all functions or limit to specific menus, fields and commands.
- Fiscal Year Beginning – Create Expenditure, Revenue and balance sheet line items in minutes.
- Change Codes – A mass code change function used to correct line items where a fund (or other account) code is used inappropriately. Eliminates creating new line items with the new account and then having to JV all accounting entries.
- Merge Vendor Records – If a duplicate vendor record is set up and used it can be merged with the original vendor record.
There are hundreds of built-in reports and variations:
- Claim Form Printing capability, Claim Approval List, and Claim Detail reports by Vendor, Claim number, or by date
- Expenditure and Revenue Budget vs. Actual Reports – Available Summarized or detailed
- Cash Receipt Detail Reports by Fund or Receipt number
- Cash/Bank Reconciliation Reports
- Detail Ledger Query and Summarized Queries
- Vendor Accounting Summary and other Vendor Reports
- Warrant Register, Outstanding Warrant List, Redeemed Warrant List
- Chart of Accounts and General Ledger Lists
- Simple User Constructed Reports
- Trial Balance
- Report Packages – put together custom sets of reports for an individual or entity to create a package that can be immediately distributed by e-mail directly from the application
- Reports can be printed to screen for preview, directly to printer, to a file or to e-mail
This product is completely integrated with BMSPAYROLL to minimize your effort and maximize your results:
- Dependant Information - Available fields: Relationship, Dependent first and last name, birth date, Social Security #, and gender.
- Emergency Contact Information - Provides set up for two contacts. Available fields: Contact name, relationship to employee, contact address, phone #, and Notes field
- Education History - Degrees, School, Major, graduation year, Credits, and Notes field.
- Certifications - Certification endorsement, Certification levels, Folio #, Start Date, and Expiration date.
- Skills - Skill (CPR certified, Tutor, etc.), Rating, Date and notes fields.
- Events - Event (Physicals, TB Tests, etc.), Due Date, Start Date, Event Complete indicator and date, and Notes field.
- Evaluations - Separate evaluation information per job/position, Evaluation date, Evaluator, Extensive notes fields, Start date, Termination date, Termination Code, Next Evaluation Date, Benefits Eligibility date, and Probation End Date COBRA Information - Qualifying event pick list, qualifying date, Acceptance date, Deadline date, Start Date, Expiration Date, Unlimited Election Period Events/Notes field and Unlimited COBRA Participants Events Notes field.
- Insurance Benefit Amounts - automatically provided by payroll system in concise display.
- Position\Contract Information - position year, JOB code, main position indicator, Position Name, start and End dates, Location, Grade/Assignment, Supervisor, Start Step, Current Step, Start Year, Lane, Contract Group, Pay Period Salary, FTE, Hourly rate, define # hours in a working day, define # working days in work year, specify # checks for final contract pay, Unlimited Position Notes and general Notes. Specify expenditure accounting distribution or view if set by payroll clerk.
- Simplify Employee Contract Printing - Create Data Merge file containing field information to merge with word processor Contract template. Merge field data could include contract year, Salary amount, Step and lane position in schedule, etc.
- Total Payroll System Interface - The Human Resource Application is directly interfaced with your Black Mountain Software payroll system data. There is never double data entry required. If you modify an item in Human Resources, the Payroll files are updated instantly, and vice versa!
- Pick-List Driven Data Fields - Key data fields allow only predefined values for consistent data entry and reporting.
There are pre-defined standard reports built into this flexible report wizard:
- COBRA Election Period Info
- COBRA Participant Information
- Dependant Information
- Evaluation Next Dates
- Insurance Benefit Amount
- Reports can be printed to screen for preview, directly to printer, to a file
- Create custom reports or edit and modify any of the standard reports
Payroll is a proven component of this integrated fund accounting solution:
- Leave Buckets/Leave Accruals - 3 standard buckets; Sick, Vacation, and Personal time. Complete management of Comp time. Add up to 9 more buckets. Set either for automatic or manual accruals.
- Salary Schedules - Employee records can be tied to the Budget Preparation Salary Schedules. Provides for quick automatic salary updates.
- Local Deductions/Employer Contributions - manage deferred compensation, Section 125’s, Annuities, garnishments, 457’s, etc.:
- Set deduction life by date and total amount
- Set exclusions for certain types of pay
- For single rates update all employees by changing global rate
- Optional ACH Electronic Direct Deposit Module - Employee net wages can be deposited electronically to as many different banks and accounts as needed.
- Full Integration with Accounting 2.0 - Journal entries are automatically created whenever a payment or adjustment transaction is created and are sent to the Accounting system, which updates the payroll ledgers.
- Paycheck Correction/Cancellation - Cancellation completely reverses all system entries associated with paying the employee including Year To Date, accounting entries, deduction/contribution records etc. - No manual journal or W2 adjustments needed.
- Deduction Adjustments - Over withholding errors can be quickly refunded to the employee. Employee Deduction history is automatically adjusted and accounting entries automatically created.
- Employer Contribution Accounting - Use global settings, individual employee settings or combinations to achieve complete correct expenditure accounting
- Earned Income Credit processing - Completely supported.
- Third Party Disability Payments - simple process to update employee YTD figures and pay the employer portion of SS and MED.
- Paycheck Advances - Provides quick way to produce an advance check, balance is automatically deducted from the employ net pay next regular payroll.
- View Electronic Paychecks and Stubs - order by check number or by employee name.
- Reissue Checks - for checks that have been lost or destroyed - allows for quick reassignment of new check # and direct printing.
- Expenditure Accounting Distribution - Payroll expenditures can be automatically distributed between as many line items as needed on a percentage basis. Timecard entry allows hourly distribution of expenditures as well as exception entries.
- Time Card Entry - provides for validations of accounting and distribution percentages. Allows unlimited splits by hours or percents and unlimited pay types.
A few report examples:
- Payroll Worksheets - allow the payroll clerk to completely proof all facets of the payroll process to ensure accurate setup of employee records, time card entries and accounting before the checks are processed.
- Payroll Register and Accounting Register - provides complete information for each employee by pay date or a range of pay dates.
- Payroll Summary - provides summarized totals by pay date range. Tracks payroll liabilities by showing current accrual, accrual carried forward, amount paid and amount remaining difference.
- Accounting Reports -includes, Payroll Expenditure Detail, Detail Query, Journal Vouchers, Cash Report, Expenditures by Employee and more
- Employee Reports - nearly 30 different reports to provide the information you need.
- Check Reports - includes ability to track both regular checks and ACH payments, Check Status reports and details associated with liability payments and more
- Employee History - including deductions, contributions, expense and hours history
- Online Help and Manual-on screen help for every procedure - Want another printed manual? Print another one quickly.
- User Reports- simple report creator. Create simple reports to enhance the built in set of system reports
- Volunteer reports - including Worksheet, Register and Accounting Register
- Deduction reports - includes quarterlies like Workers Comp summary, Unemployment summary, 941 support & State reports
- Report Packages - put together custom sets of reports for an individual or entity to create a package. Put packages into a group. Set up email addresses. Tell system to send Group of Packages. Sends hundreds of pages of reports within seconds to any number of recipients. Microsoft Exchange or Outlook required.
- All Reports can be printed to screen for preview, directly to printer, to a file or to email
SAM/SID Special Assessment and Improvement District Manager
Explore the possibilities of a complete and proven solution to managing your special improvement districts and assessments:
- Special Assessment Records - manage both maintenance and improvement districts.
- Four Assessment methods - create a district using any one of the following:
- Proportional units such as area, taxable value, or frontage
- Rate codes such as residential, commercial, etc.
- Flat amount
- Fixed rate per proportional unit
- Receipting - take full or partial payments. Assessments can be receipted individually or through a batch entry document.
- Prepayment Calculation - Easily calculate, in advance, principle payoffs. Option to take partial payments on balance of principle.
- Penalty and interest assessments on delinquent taxes - System calculates based on date of payment. Percentage entered by user. Interest calculations may be one of the following -
- Serial (Principal amount per payment equal over life of SID)
- Amortized (Payment amount equal over life of SID)
- Summary Finances (Principal and Interest payments are set up for SID and individual properties calculated from master schedule)
- Parcel Finances (Principal and Interest payments are setup for individual parcels)
- Recalculation of SID schedules due to variable interest rate** - rebuilds remaining unbilled principle and interest amortization table based on new rate.
- Form Letters - Provides merge data fields so you can use your word processor to create custom delinquent, assessment, or other types of notices.
- Transfer information to/from counties using Black Mountain Software systems - This includes download of annual name/address updates and receipt information and upload of annual assessment information. May be customized for links to other software.
- Payment History query - information available onscreen by assessment
- Tax query - showing property information, tax amount by due date, and status (paid, unpaid), assessment lines to be paid. Tax payments may be calculated by setting the payment (interest) date.
- Search for Properties - Tax ID, Name, In Care of Name, Geo Code, Township/Range/Section or Subdivision Tax ID # - Changeable
- Accounting Integration - System journalizes all receipt entries for posting to the BMS general ledger.
- Capitalization of Interest - when bond payments are due in advance of assessments being billed, interest may be capitalized over the life of the SID
- Defer Property assessment billing - Individual properties may be marked to exclude them from billing
There are many reports and report variations:
- Tax Roll Book
- Tax Statements
- Assessment Notice
- Assessed Value Recap
- Name and Address List
- Mailing Labels
- Receipt Detail
- Daily Receipt Summary
- Receipt History
- Billing Detail
- Uncollected Taxes
- SAMSID/Accounting Reconciliation
- Tax/Assessment Reconciliation
- SID Detail
- Deferred Principal Balances
- Reports can be printed to screen for preview, directly to printer, to a file or to email