The MainStreet software suite offers a complete, modular and fully integrated financial and billing software solution in a Windows point and click environment. These applications include Accounts Payable, Budgeting, General Ledger, Payroll, Purchasing, a Master Property Database, Licenses and Permits, Tax and Assessment Billing, and Utility Billing. All MainStreet applications will run under Windows 9X, Windows 2000, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux, and AIX, as well as other flavors of UNIX.
We use development tools like Visual Basic, Java, and OPENworkshop, a 32-bit, ODBC-compliant, object-oriented, relational database management system, written by Thoroughbred Software International, Inc. This leading Fourth Generation Language provides MainStreet with a standard matrix for the creation of software applications. It also includes a Computer Aided Software Engineering tool, providing our system developers with a powerful and consistent environment for system design, creation, and revision.
In addition, our systems include completely customizable ad-hoc query and reporting capabilities, as well as a series of checks and balances to guarantee data integrity. All are backed by complete audit reports.
These features make MainStreet Software the premier solution to local governments and utilities:
MainStreet provides a higher level of support – We have the best customer support ratio in the business, 5 customers for every support person. MainStreet loads all software updates for you, with release notes and updated documentation. You can access the documentation from an icon on the user’s desktop. MainStreet users speak directly with a support person to resolve the issue. MainStreet’s training is individualized, at your location or ours; so your trainer will show you how to use the software to handle each task that you do each day.
MainStreet" is easier to use – We’ve also designed MainStreet" applications to prevent the new user from making a mistake. The user can void a posted bill or check, or ‘undo’ a payroll. All journal entries are validated before they are created, preventing out of balance entries. Each day the customer’s accounts receivable balance is proven against the history balance, and the detail accounts receivable is tied out to the General Ledger. A complete cash audit is done before cash receipts are posted.
MainStreet" uses event-driven programming, where error messages are written in English, and tell the users exactly what record has caused the error, and how to remedy the problem. We also employ workflow processing in creating final utility bills, setting up new customers, and checking the budgetary status of an account during AP or PO entry. As users perform these tasks, MainStreet" Software leads them through each step along the way.
MainStreet" is a better value – MainStreet" provides both updates and new releases in its’ maintenance plan, so there is no upgrade cost for MainStreet". That is, you buy MainStreet" Software once, you own it forever. Contrast this plan with other software companies that require you purchase an upgrade about every 5 years. Over this same period, the MainStreet customers will pay nothing for subsequent new releases and updates, since they are included in the contract. Over the years, MainStreet" Software is less expensive than its competitors.
- Accomplishes all facets of payment processing, including check setup and printing, and bank statement reconciliation.
- Generates all due to and due from entries to keep all funds in balance if an item is expensed to multiple funds.
- Allows payment from unlimited general ledger cash accounts.
- Allows you to hold invoices from payment, select invoices for immediate payment, or choose the payment date for a list of accounts payable.
- Accumulates all payments due to a vendor and prints a single check for the total due.
- Prevents duplicate payments by comparing the vendor and invoice combinations to those maintained in historical files.
- Controls cash. All checks processed are posted to an on-line check log so your cash balance is always up to date. Check controls such as check amounts in words, void set-up checks, due date controls and starting check no are also supported.
- Produces monthly proof of cash detailing the bank balance at last statement, cleared checks, cleared deposits, cleared interest, cleared service charges, and miscellaneous items. The reconciliation statement also produces a new bank balance with a detail of outstanding items to prove the General Ledger cash account balance.
- Calculates penalty and late charges, and prints delinquency notices, form letters, and mailing labels. You can also create customer correspondence and mailing labels tailored to your needs.
- Facilitates collection of outstanding revenue with account aging inquiry, payment processing, custom letter requests, and payment arrangement set-up.
- Allows you to quickly view account balances and detail history with detailed on-line inquiry.
- Prints account summaries, trial balance, and detail trial balance information on demand.
- Maintains customer information including customer name and address, mailing address, multiple ship to codes, credit limit, account balance and detail invoice history and payment transactions.
- Offers complete budgeting tools including customized reporting, monthly allocations, justification narratives, and projection capabilities.
- Performs ‘what if’ budget financial scenarios.
- Prepares an unlimited number of budget versions, using worksheets that you define. Budget formats can be defined for work papers and reports at each level of your budget preparation process. The budget worksheet screen(s) display line items you can automatically adjust for the proposed budget column based on a fixed increase/decrease percentage. You can indicate whether the calculation should be done for selected cost centers only or for all cost centers for which this line item is budgeted.
- Spreads annual budgeted amounts to selected months for specific monthly spending plans as opposed to merely dividing the annual amount by twelve. A percentage distribution per month option is also available.
- Projects budgets by multiplying selected portions of the current budget or other specified budget, by a given percentage. You can see 2 years actual amounts, current year projected actual, and proposed initial budget all on the screen at once.
- Supports account number configurations up to 40 characters and 7 segments to maintain multiple funds, departments, projects, objects, functions, categories, and divisions. The basis of accounting for each separate fund can be cash, accrual, or a modified accrual basis.
- Provides system security at menu, program, and line item account levels. Line item security may be controlled for each user for purposes of inquiry, posting, and budget maintenance. Line item security provides the ability to limit inquiry by user to specified groups of accounts such as by department, or account category.
- Supports multiple funds participating in a common pooled cash account, or a separate disbursement fund with automatic generation of due-to do-from accounts.
- Automatically records revenues and expenses when posting from other modules.
- Edits all transactions to insure that each entry to a fund is balanced and complete and each fund is maintained as a self-balancing entity. Journal notes may be entered for any journal entry. You can enter notes related to a journal entry that may be included on specific General Ledger reports.
- Allows exception hours entry and the receipt of attendance data from time clocks. Time ticket entry provides labor costing for work orders, projects/grants, and service requests. Employees can have base payrolls established and time record data processed for a weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly, or monthly basis. An unlimited number of different hourly/salary rates and expense distributions for each employee can be used. An unlimited number of user defined deduction fields per employee are provided in addition to federal and state withholding. These deductions are set up as a flat amount or a percentage of gross or other user defined pay field. An option to prevent Federal Tax and FICA Tax from being withheld on an employee by employee basis can be established.
- Expenses labor to multiple funds and internally generates all ‘due to’ and ‘due from’ entries to keep all funds in balance.
- Accrues holidays, vacation, and sick time and unlimited user defined leave categories. Each leave category is maintained on an annual or employee anniversary basis. Compensatory time, with limits set by various department rules, can be accumulated. Sick time, holiday time, and vacation time are maintained with other user defined leave categories in hours. Accrual for sick and vacation time and up to six other user defined leave categories is generated for each employee based upon length of service, and/or job classification. On-line adjustments of sick time, holiday time, vacation time and other leave categories time can be accomplished. Year-end forfeitures of vacation time can be processed. Comp time is not accrued past the maximum time allowed.
- Processes manual checks at any time during the pay period for terminated employees, back pay, special allowances, and other reasons.
- Supports a cafeteria benefits plan with flexible spending accounts. City paid benefits can be calculated and tracked. Deferred compensation can be kept.
- Automates purchasing and inventory operations. Enter requisitions, generate purchase orders, receive goods and services, process invoices, and issue from inventory stores.
- Allows an unlimited number of receipts and invoices against a single Purchase Order. Multiple invoices can be entered for one purchase order. Direct purchases (no encumbrance) by invoice, upon request by authorized personnel, can also be entered.
- Gives you on-line purchase requisitions. You can enter detailed purchasing specifications for items, suggest vendors, maintain vendor quotes, accounting information, and shipping dates required.
- Limits a requester’s access to specific expenditure accounts for use on requisitions and purchase orders. This access can be limited by user, department, or by account type.
- Provides validation of available budget against the appropriate budget year as each item is entered with option to validate, on line, at the line item account level or at the category within a department level. Provides an on-line approval process.
- Transfers requisition data automatically to the purchasing department, allowing buyers to edit the data, generate regular purchase orders, blanket purchase orders, confirming orders, and change orders.
- Creates a pre-encumbrance which will be converted to an encumbrance upon issuance of a subsequent purchase order or deleted if the requisition is canceled.
- Provides a one step process for a processing or receiving a purchase order simultaneously. If this option is selected the system prompts the operator for the invoice number, invoice date, due date, and invoice description.
- Reverses encumbrances established by the purchase order upon entry of the vendor invoice.
- Allows unlimited account codes to be used for a purchase order plus unlimited account codes for additions during the receiving process.
- Purchase Requisitions includes all that is needed for entering, and electronically routing, and approving requisitions as well as converting requisitions to purchase orders.
- Gives you on-line purchase requisitions. You can enter detailed purchasing specifications for items, suggest vendors, maintain vendor quotes, accounting information, and shipping dates required. Provides an on-line approval process.
- You can limit approval and routing workflow functions to a department or employee. Unlimited Route to Recipients can be defined. Each user can be restricted to use GL accounts in a requisition based upon assigned GL account ranges.
- Each recipient can be assigned a sequence that then is used to determine if a recipient will not receive the Purchase Requisition until others required to approve the requisition do so. Recipients can approve or deny requisitions after they review the requisition. Notes can be entered in the approval screen communicating with the requesting department as to why the requisition was denied.
- A Dollar Limit can be assigned to a route so the route can only be assigned to Requisitions that do not exceed the limit. Routes are valid for assignment to a Requisition based on the requesting employee, department, and dollar amount.
- Provides for unlimited number of services billed and rated, with user-defined services set-up, incorporating unlimited one-time charges on a customer utility bill. This may include charges such as reconnect fees, extra trash pickups, tap fees, and sales of equipment, parts or materials.
- Supports unbundling of charges with an unlimited number of charges on a utility bill.
- Allows service rates to be based on a flat amount, stepped tables, tables dependent upon water consumption (including winter averages), based on number of containers, size of containers, number of pick-ups, allow for minimum and maximum charges, and fuel surcharges.
- Supports an unlimited number of routes with up to 9,999 accounts in a route. Allows creation, resequencing, or building routes without changing the customer account number or historical information.
- Supports all meter reading hand-held devices, or manual entry of readings.
- Maintains separate account numbers for multiple parties at the same location.
- Calculates and prints bills for one or more cycles with user defined messages on selected bills, or all utility bills.
- Provides for on demand calculation of all charges on a utility bill. An unlimited number of special rate calculations are also provided, such as winter quarter averaging, seasonal rating, and budget billing. Metered, flat, and one-time charge rates are also supported.