Manufacturing Operations Management (MOM) software is a type of system designed to oversee and improve manufacturing processes. It’s a vital tool of modern manufacturing methods as it streamlines operations, improves productivity, and increases efficiency by providing a central platform where data from different stages of the manufacturing process is collected, analyzed, and used for better decision-making.
1 SYSPRO - Best Overall
SYSPRO is an enterprise resource planning solution designed to cover workflows of discrete manufacturing, including mixed-mode operations. It features modules for accounting, inventory control, supply chain management, and more. SYSPRO supports custom job shops, engineer-to-order, configure-to-order, assemble-to-order, made-to-order, make-to-stock, and mixed mode operations.
While exact pricing information is not available, SYSPRO allows users to pick and choose modules so they only pay for what they need.
2 Katana MRP - Best for Integrations
Katana MRP is a manufacturing ERP software that provides real-time inventory control over materials and products. Some key features include live inventory management, real-time master planning, shop floor control, omnichannel order management, end-to-end traceability, production planning, purchase order management, accurate costing, and customizable workflows.
Katana’s open API integrates with popular platforms such as:
- Quickbooks Online
- And more
The target market for Katana MRP is small and medium-sized manufacturers. Pricing starts at $99 per user per month for the Essential plan, which increases to $299 for the Advanced plan and $799 for the Professional plan. A free trial is available.
3 MRPeasy - Best for Small Manufacturers
MRPeasy is a cloud-based and user-friendly production planning software for small manufacturers. The tool, made specifically for companies with 10 to 200 employees, helps manage production scheduling, inventory, sales, procurement and shop-floor in one place.
Subscription pricing starts as low as $49 per user and a free trial is available.
What is MOM Software?
MOM software is designed to oversee and improve modern manufacturing processes. It does so by providing a central platform where data from different stages of the manufacturing process is collected, analyzed, and used for better decision-making. This makes it a vital tool for manufacturers looking to streamline their operations, improve productivity, and increase efficiency.
Like manufacturing execution systems (MES), which are sometimes used interchangeably, MOM software provides an integrated, data-driven approach to managing manufacturing operations. By offering real-time insights, enabling proactive decision-making, and streamlining various processes, it plays a crucial role in enhancing the overall efficiency and productivity of manufacturing operations.
Essential Features of MOM Software
- Real-Time Manufacturing Monitoring: Provide users with an up-to-date overview of manufacturing processes. Track machine performance, manpower utilization, material usage, and more to identify bottlenecks or inefficiencies promptly and take corrective actions.
- Production Scheduling: Plan production based on demand forecasts, available resources, and existing production capacity. This is essential to optimize resource utilization, reduce waste, and meet customer delivery timelines.
- Quality Control and Management: Track product quality by managing inspections and ensuring compliance with internal or external quality standards. This feature can help businesses to meet regulatory requirements and improve customer satisfaction.
- Inventory Management: Manage raw materials, work-in-progress, and finished goods inventory to reduce carrying costs, prevent stockouts or overstocks, and ensure smooth production flow.
- Maintenance Management: Control the maintenance schedules of machines and other equipment to prevent unexpected machine breakdowns, improve machine lifespan, and ensure uninterrupted production.
- Data Analytics: Data analytics tools review data generated from the manufacturing processes. This is vital to identify trends, make data-driven decisions, and improve overall manufacturing efficiency.
How is MOM Software Different from MES?
MOM has a lot of overlap with MES, to the point where the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably. In fact, MES is often considered part of larger MOM systems, which has a broader overall scope. In contrast, MES is aimed more at managing manufacturing operations on the shop floor level.
Additionally, MOM software is different from MES because it integrates with more enterprise-level solutions, such as customer relationship management and supply chain management applications, in order to provide a full overview of manufacturing operations…
Cost of MOM Software
The pricing on MOM software is largely dependent on factors like feature set and organization size. Some subscriptions are available for as low as $25 per month, although functionality will be limited. Most monthly plans range between $99 to $325. One-time perpetual licensing fees are also available, with activation starting at $7,995. The exact cost will depend on the exact needs of the business and the total number of users.